SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What kind of scope

frankie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dob will give you good DSO views assuming your expectatins are realistic. A trip to a star party or astro soc would give you a chance to see what is possible. You are aware of just how big these things are??

A Dob cannot be used for deep sky photography and, quite honestly, no entirely satisfactory compromise exists to offer visual and imaging potential. I would leave out DS photography and enjoy the Dob at the eyepiece, though you can do some planetary webcamming with it.

Olly

Hello Frankie and welcome to SGL!! The 12" DOb would give good views of DSO's however it is not suitable for astro-photography. For that you need a really good equatorial mount and probably a smallish Apo refractor. Others with more complete knowledge will, I'm sure, give you a more complete answer.

Hey guys is there anyway i can see what kind of images i will see with the dob?

Not really as anything posted will be via an imaging setup and will have been processed. Someone posting an image through an apo refractor will be different to that through a reflector.

Also if someone has their scope well set up, cooled down good, a well matched eyepiece, the whole thing accurately collimated and the visual conditions are good you get one quality of image. Any one and especially more then one of the above not right then it is different and poorer.

Try to locate a club with a public evening and have a look through a few scopes.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As Capricorn has suggested already, the best form of research is real experience, so contact your local astro club/society and have a look through some kit to get a feel of what you might see. It's the same with eyepieces, you simply have to go out there and look through kit for you to know what will meet your expectations. I spent nearly a year looking through lots of kit at different apertures to find what I felt I needed to keep me interested.

Unfortunately the requirements for decent astrophotography are not the same as those for observing and although you can combine the two at the lower level, any advancement will require you to make a choice about different kit.

James

welcome to the forum, you can check out sketches done at the eyepiece to get a better idea of what you will see through your scope, as long as the sketches were done with a scope similar in size to the one you intend to buy.

I bought an EQ mounted netownian as a complete novice and I have to say I seriously question anyone that says with any significant magnification they could manually move a DOB to track something. It's hard enough with the controls on an EQ mount...

hi and welcome i have the 12" dob if you planning on do in photos you may need one with tracking or and a goto feature deep space is easy with this scope depends on how darl you view in sight is and light polution but do not let this put you off

Hey guys is there anyway i can see what kind of images i will see with the dob?

I think the only answer to this (no sarcasm intended) is to look through one. if you can handle the size it's a wonderful scope - I have one and love it - although I want more!

I bet if you put out a request, there'd be someone near you with one or as others have said attend a star party, there's one at Kelling quite soon I think.

Bear in mind that with any scope, the sky at a dark site shows a lot more than a suburban or urban site due to lack of light pollution.

hi all

i am a newbie

i would like to know the best and least expensive way to auto guide my setup with as mutch advice as possible thanks.

i have a 127 maksutov on a celestron cg5 gt and a laptop to use if nessesary.

ps. the longest exposure i have been able to get is 5 minits with an eos 300d pigyback on scope with a 90mm lens and 30 seconds with the cam on the scope with a t mount hope this helps :glasses1:

Archived