Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

phillc

Filters

Having read the primer on filters, I am toying with the idea of getting some coloured ones. But with a small scope 130x900 reflector am I going to notice much diffrence on the Planets.

Also is it worth me looking at a moon filter, or LP filter.

Thanks in advance for you imput.

phillc

I find #12 yellow filter is good on the Moon and also brings out more cloud detail on Jupiter.

Hope that heps

Yep I bought a #12 yellow filter and it really helped with the detail on Jupiter

I have seen colour ones that claim to improve detail on {insert planet name}

It would great to get a collection from people as to their experience with such filters, as I have been tempted to buy some coloured ones to aid my planetary observations but concerned that they would just make the view turn {insert relevant colour}

Yeah, I picked up No25 (red) that's supposed to show better details on Mars, Jupiter and Saturn - but I got it mainly for helping with daytime Venus as it's supposed to scatter less light. Last night I tried it on Saturn and pretty much saw less detail, with a x2 barlow it made the image too faint and grainy and it was just pretty much a red mess. (This was used in conjunction with an IR/UV filter.)

Edited by King