Narrowband

Filters

phillc

Having read the primer on filters, I am toying with the idea of getting some coloured ones. But with a small scope 130x900 reflector am I going to notice much diffrence on the Planets.

Also is it worth me looking at a moon filter, or LP filter.

Thanks in advance for you imput.

phillc

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have seen colour ones that claim to improve detail on {insert planet name}

It would great to get a collection from people as to their experience with such filters, as I have been tempted to buy some coloured ones to aid my planetary observations but concerned that they would just make the view turn {insert relevant colour}

Yeah, I picked up No25 (red) that's supposed to show better details on Mars, Jupiter and Saturn - but I got it mainly for helping with daytime Venus as it's supposed to scatter less light. Last night I tried it on Saturn and pretty much saw less detail, with a x2 barlow it made the image too faint and grainy and it was just pretty much a red mess. (This was used in conjunction with an IR/UV filter.)

Archived