SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Differences between eyes

Stu

I noticed the other night that I should use different eyes for viewing different objects.

I normally use my left eye to view, and it is great on bright objects, planets and the moon because it seems less sensitive than my right eye. Jupiter shows little detail with my right eye because it is too bright, and plenty with my left.

Conversely, I tried my right eye on the orion nebula which felt strange because I don't normally view with it but was able to see detail which required averted vision on my left eye.

I don't seem to get on with bino viewers, possibly because of this imbalance.

Just interested to know if anyone else had found similar variations, or am I just odd? :-) :-)

Stu

I was chatting with a friend the other day trying to explain parallax. Closing and opening each eye to show how things appeared to move.

I found out that in my right eye I see much more vibrant colours. This is something that I had never noticed before.

Cheers

Ant

Interesting - I definitely see things brighter with my right eye (which is much more shortsighted than my left). I love my binoviewers. TBH I have found that the eyes/brain ar so good at processing (or whatever it is they do) that you can actually get away with binoviewing with different e/ps! (i don't mean a 32mm and a 20 :glasses1: - I mean different versions of the same e/p - I found about 4 different types of meade 4000s until I got matched pairs but I got on ok with the non-matched pairs). :)

Interesting - I definitely see things brighter with my right eye (which is much more shortsighted than my left).
I've noticed that sort of thing. My eyes are quite unequal in those (and several) respects. And certainly, dark-adapt at different rates too! Without (past) hypochondria, but with a history of significant, age-related, sight loss in the family, I keep an eye open (no pun!) for changes from this (quirky) normality? :glasses1:

Cloud watcher, I didn't know that was possible, up to now I had always thought you were either long or short sighted. Must be confusing for your optician! :-)

Having been short sighted for most of my life, I've recently joined the long sighted club aswell, needing reading glasses :-(. Haven't got my head around bi focals or vari focals yet, but the mrs already calls me her 'old man' :-)

Stu

I have noticed the same sort of thing, Orion. My right eye has a far more richer, detailed view than my left, but i only notice that when i close my left eye. Saying that, both eyes pick up the same sharpness in colour. Very strange.

I view with my left eye, I struggle to get good focus with the right. After an hour or two of observing I always give the right eye a try to give the left eye some respite.

I also wonder if your better eye could be something that's related to being right or left handed?

Oh, I'm left handed. :)

I view with my left eye, I struggle to get good focus with the right. After an hour or two of observing I always give the right eye a try to give the left eye some respite.

I also wonder if your better eye could be something that's related to being right or left handed?

Oh, I'm left handed. :(

Left handed but use my right eye as its the better :), did play football with both feet, really nice advantage ;), boy I'm a freak :o

I'm right handed and for years I looked through cameras with my left eye (still do) and never gave it much thought. Then I took up clay pigeon shooting about 15 years ago and realised that my left eye is my master eye. Not a problem with the cameras (apart from the knuckle on my right thumb poking into my right eye) but a big problem when using a shotgun. I tried covering my left eye, and a patch on the left lens of my specs but in the end I just had to shoot with my left eye closed which isn't the way to do it, but it seems to work for me. With the telescope? it's back to the left eye again.

Archived