Narrowband

Solar imaging with C11?

riklaunim

I use the JMB glass full aperture solar filter on my 12" Lx200.

The views to say the least are stunning!

The real problem is getting good enough seeing - early morning seems to be the only time for me.

I do my solar imaging in Ha with the double stack SM60/ ED80.

I had a go & found results disappointing - basically the seeing was never good enough to show more detail than my WO FLT 110. The slow temperature stabilization of my CPC1100 doesn't help, neither does the dark painted uninsulated metal tube. If I had loads of time with nothing better to do, I might try again ...

... some people (presumably blessed with sites with generally good seeing) have made spectacular images with white light filters on large SCTs, so it can be done.

Brian et al,

If you do want to be serious about large aperture solar then wrap the scope in aluminium tin foil...I sometimes have to do this even with the SM60/ ED80/ DMK41 set-up....( i think I had some on the scope when I took to Bedford last year...)

If you do want to be serious about large aperture solar then wrap the scope in aluminium tin foil...

Not sure what the issue here is ... surely when the scope is pointed at the sun, there is no radiation falling onto the tube walls? I can understand why you'd want to insulate & make shiny the scope tube when pointing at targets near the sun in the sky i.e. imaging Mercury & Venus in daylight ...

I think it's local concrete / gravel / tiled house roofs / tarmaced roadways that cause the bad seeing at my site. I'm looking for one with better seeing.

Archived