SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Where is my star?

Some folks might remember I got a gift from my kids of a Star named after our family for my Birthday in December. It turned out that the star was not visible from the UK. Well the missus complained to them and they have named a new star for me. This one is in Ursa Major and I wondered if anybody could do me a small diagram of where exactly in the constellation it is? or even better take a nice photo of it so I can print it out!

Anyways here are the coordinates given:

N44.02 W69.9

11h17m48.4s J2000.0

N68.9348 deg UMa

Alt 65.123 Az 0.098

Level6: 20degrees

The International Astronomical Union is the only recognized star-naming organization, and it does not sell names. All other naming offers are unofficial and are not recognised by astronomers unfortunately.

In addition I can make neither head nor tail of the co-ordinates that you have been provided.

Gordon

These are both RA?DEC and ALT?AZ co-ords

Anyways here are the coordinates given:

N44.02 W69.9 (These are probably Galatic co-ordinates)

11h17m48.4s J2000.0 (this is the RA)

N68.9348 deg UMa (this is the DEC in decimalised form)

Alt 65.123 Az 0.098

Level6: 20degrees These are the Alt/Az

Cheers

Ian

thanks for the replies folks, not much chance of seeing it tonight though its now blowing a gale outside!

I am trying to find the star in Starry Night Pro but am having a little trouble with it, Phattire the image you posted looks like it might be from starry night, any chance you could zoom out a little bit? I cannot seem to find Lamda Draco, is that in the Draco constellation? I thought the star was in Ursa Major?

I agree completely with Gordon's first statement, and this location is typical. The star is too faint to see on regular charts, meaning it's below ~11th mag. I can check when I get home from USNO photometry, but I doubt you'll actually be able to see it, even if you can locate it. This will be the 8th such instance I myself have investigated. You should ask for your money back, IMHO and in no uncertain terms.

Archived