SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What's the most amazing thing you've seen? (through your scope)

Manok101

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing M13 through a 12" OO dob blew me away. Also viewing an asteroid occulting star a few months ago through my 'scope, I had planned it well in advance after looking up a list of occultations on the web and luckily the sky was nice and clear for the event.

My next door neighbours beautiful globulars, she must have forgotten to shut the curtains, boy that was a swell afternoon :). The best thing for me was seeing my first galaxies m65, m66 and ngc 3628 in the same fov, thats always stayed with me. Sweeping through the virgo supercluster with a big dob takes some beating as well :glasses1:.

Wow - loads!

- Supernova 2011b shining in its faint host galaxy.

- Two dust lanes of M31 through my 10" Dob.

- The ISS through the 130P (can't wait to see it through the 10" Dob, in a few days, hopefully).

- M82 at 240X with the 10".

- M42 on a dark night with the 10".

There's something special about every object I've seen - as soon as I post this, I will remember about 10 more amazing sights!

.... Oh yes, and Comet Hartley!

I would like to add Hale-Bopp.

I thought I was seeing things when I viewed the heart of the comet and it looked like swirling spirals. Then I saw some images of Hale-Bopp and there were the swirls.

Magical.

Archived