Narrowband

What's the most amazing thing you've seen? (through your scope)

Manok101

For me, it was M37... can't wait to look at it again with some actual magnification, I was too busy messing with the go to function when I found it. I think I wore out the motor the first night. Only kidding, it still works.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its hard to choose between Saturn and 4 moons, M81 and M82, or the ISS but visually Saturn was the best. Using a 10" newtonian. The others were amazing because the galaxies are so far away and the light is so old, and because man put the ISS there.

thats a tough one Manok, Saturn was a total thrill 1st time around, although I have seen it lately and the views have been tremendous the best I've seen ;), also M13, 9mm Nagler giving 261x, quite brilliant.

both these objects are pretty popular judging by the posts so far, I'm not suprised :)

Having only just bought my first scope on Saturday (Skywatcher Explorer 200p) and my

first use yesterday - was coudy until then (of course) - my first view was of a bright light in the SW. Turned out to be Jupiter and using th 10mm eyepiece I was able to see the 4 main moons and some faint banding on Jupiter - great for my first look thruogh a scope.

A shadow transit of Io across Jupiter.

I've also been treated to this, with good seeing through my 150P at high magnification.

However... I would have to say that the most amazing thing I've seen was my first look at the moon through a telescope; no other heavenly body can offer so much detail to gawp at.

The fist time I saw Saturn and it's ring system was though a society owned 12 inch Newt when I was a boy. I found the experience quite emotional and mind blowing at the same time.

When I took up astronomy again three years ago, I had the same experience looking at Saturn again through my own10 inch Newt.

For me my first view of Saturn with an 8" sct was jaw dropping but it's closely following by the blue snowball.

Saw that on one very good night, like a blue fuzzie tennis ball right in the middle of my vision. Amazed that the colour was so vibrant, not seen it that good since.

Pip

As an adult then I have to say seeing the Orion Nebula with naked eye from my back garden last week. (Im fairly new to astronomy as an adult)

As a child I remember my Mother taking me to an observatory in Preston in 1986 (I was eight at the time) to see Halley's Comet. We queued for ages in the freezing cold to look at a tiny blurry blob through the eyepiece. My mum seemed disappointed that that was all there was to see.. I got an amazing memory and a wait of decades (2061 is the next opportunity) before I get to see it again..

P.s. I've just realised I'll be 82 years old when Halley returns... hahaha!

Archived