Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

I've been looking at this star recently and can't seem to make up my mind what color it is... kinda a ruddy white appearance to me, but I'm new to astronomy, and this just isn't a star that seems to be discussed much.

It's classed as white, spectral type F5 IV-V if you're interested. It's a binary system with a dim white dwarf companion. Here's a picture of it I took last week. Pretty white :)

post-24484-133877533476_thumb.jpg

Hmm maybe its just the light pollution where I am that makes it look so interesting?

that's cool, just out of interest , what is giving it its "star" like appearance? I noticed beetlejuice doing that the other day while all the other stars were pin sharp

It's coz the picture was taken on my 6" Newt - the vanes holding the secondary mirror cause this diffraction pattern (if the stars are bright enough). I quite like it personally... which is a good job since I don't have a choice on my 'scope!

that's cool, just out of interest , what is giving it its "star" like appearance? I noticed beetlejuice doing that the other day while all the other stars were pin sharp

And here's Betelgeuce taken on the same night. Not sure how faithful the colour reproduction is on my camera but a big difference between this and Procyon...

post-24484-133877533485_thumb.jpg