Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue Radian 4mm

Took delivery of my first Televue eyepiece today. What a lovely piece of kit it is too. Can't wait to try for the first time.

Will try and write a little review once it's been given a proper go

Hmmmmm which tv eyepiece next.......

Sorry in advance for the inevitable clouds that will now appear over the UK

5e0cae81-f4db-f1df.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh dear looks like you've got the bug:D

They should come with a warning

"Televue eyepieces seriously damage the contents of your wallet"

Tell me about it. I'm looking at getting a panoptic next for my wide field. I looked at the naglers but I'm a bit worried about er on them as I wear glasses

Oh dear looks like you've got the bug:D

They should come with a warning

"Televue eyepieces seriously damage the contents of your wallet"

Tell me about it. I'm looking at getting a panoptic next for my wide field. I looked at the naglers but I'm a bit worried about er on them as I wear glasses

Its newt with a focal length of 650mm so should give me around 160x mag

well you'll be fine with that jnc, should give you some really nice views ;)

as a comparrison I looked at Saturn recently using the new 13mm Nagler on the 925 giving 180x, it was a brilliant view when conditions were steady :)

The other issue being I can't take a 2" eyepiece which from what I have read would limit me to the lower focal naglers

It's OK - the 3.7mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm and 13mm Ethe have a 1.25" fitting as well as the 2" :)

Trouble is, they empty your bank account even faster than Naglers do ;)

I find 13mm an excellent and very often used focal length for DSO's in my scopes which range from 663mm to 1200mm in focal length. 20mm is another "sweet spot". For globular clusters and small planetary nebulae I find 8mm often provides great views.

You mentioned Panoptics earlier. They are fine eyepieces but their eye relief is quite tight as well if that's an issue for you.

I have the 9mm Nagler and it does reveal a great view of globular clusters, I will probably go up to a 7mm in time for occasions were the conditions are really good, ye dso's are indeed varied in size I believe around a 12 or 13mm would do a good job of showing a fair amount of them. :)

Any thoughts on the nagler 12mm type 4 it's listed as 17mm er and has a 1.25" barrel

well I have not had the pleasure of using one I would think that John most certainly has as well as other members, I sometimes do a search to see if I can find any good reviews ect on equipment :)

Any thoughts on the nagler 12mm type 4 it's listed as 17mm er and has a 1.25" barrel

I've not used that one as it happens - I had a 13mm type 6 which is a 1.25" only fitting and is a smaller overall package. I'm sure the 12mm is excellent though and shares the other positive characteristics of the type 4 series :)

The widest FoV in 1.25" format can be achieved with:

TV 32mm plossl

TV 24mm Panoptic

TV 16mm Nagler T6

TV 13mm Ethos

They all give you about the same True FoV (the panotic and plossl actually show about 20% more sky). The lower the focal length, the more magnified objects will be and that will give you a more immersion sensation (aka the "space walk" experience they talk about in adverts :)).

looks like you are hooked jnc, now is a great time to buy TV ep's with the discount you get at the moment that might tempt some to sell a few they have to purchase one or two new ones :)

thats what im hoping although i cant buy on here for another 3 weeks as i only joined last week. ebay is my only option:(

Archived