Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn - 16-02-11

John

I viewed Saturn in the early hours this morning. It looked exquisite with my 4" Vixen ED refractor at 177x with good contrast in the surface banding showing and even hints of the great storm in the northern hemisphere evident.

I'm finding detecting the Cassini Division rather challenging at the moment with both the Vixen and the larger 6" achromat. I think I saw hints of it in the ring ansea but it seems very indistict compared to previous oppositions.

Not that I'd normally call the Division an "easy" target in small to medium scopes under my typical observing conditions.

Otherwise, a very satisfying couple of hours observing :)

John, thanks for the report, glad to hear there was much to see. I am desperate to get out and have a look at Saturn but a combination of work commitments and the waether have conspired against me to date:(

Made an effort to get up this morning and try and catch saturn. Sadly the skys where void of anything but cloud. Dismayed i quickly jumped back into to bed to get re-awoken a hours later by the sunlight coming through the window, Not a cloud in sight!.

Nice report though, i cant wait until i actually see it myself.

Jupiter blew me away, im sure saturn will have the same effect.

John, it really is something at the moment, my fiirst view for a while the other morning was spectacular using my 13mm Nagler, I have posted that comment on a few threads now but I feel its warranted as I was so impressed with the image when it settled for a few brief seconds.

Brilliant to see it again :)

I'm glad others are getting their Saturnian "fixes" too. I hope when it's a little higher in the sky the ellusive Cassini Division will show itself a little better. The ring tilt and that great storm system make the planet a "must see" this year for sure :)

It's fun seeing how many moons you can pick up with various apertures as well - I got 4 the other night with my 4" ;)

I've definitely had my Saturn fix recently - unfortunately it rises just above my neighbours house in the early hours and the seeing is usually terrible - I'll have to wait until it's higher. I couldn't really make out the Cassini division with a Skymax 180 despite being convinced that I could see stars E and F in the Trapezium only an hour or two beforehand.

James

Archived