Narrowband

Webcam has arrived!

Hi, My SPC880NC(flashed) has just arrived from Morgan. I have the webcam(flashed), the filter but NO adapter as they have ran out of stock ;). Just wondering what free software i should download onto my PC(running vista). Also can i test the webcam on anything even though i don't have the adapter. Thanks :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can download SharpCam, wxAstrocapture, registax all for free. You can try out the webcam on your laptop/PC but until you get the adaptor you won't be able to attach it to the scope. You will need to take the webcam lense out to attach the nose adaptor when you get it.

OK and what is the website for SharpCam? Thank you

EDIT: Just found it on Google :)

Just search for SharpCap...not cam

Download SharpPcap 3.5.0 Free - A capture framework to help you with your work. - Softpedia

I also run vista, but have had some problems, it cannot download information? or so it states in toolbar

So i switched to wxAstro

Shaun

yes some ideal setting would be good.

i notice that if i change res the fps change, but you can then change the fps back! why is that? i could understand if the camera can't give x res @ x fps but the fact you can change it back is weird! ?

Not sure if the settings work, but found this site

Webcam Astrophotography Tutorial for Planets|AstroPhotography Tonight

Only problem is "Clouds"

Shaun

Been a Newbie, I don't have any settings to suggest (unless it's for images of my kitchen!)... however, if you sign up to the forums at www.astronomyshed.co.uk there are a couple of video tutorials that walk you through setting up for planetary and LX imaging with webcam/Sharpcap. The only thing that baffles me is the difference with I420 and YUY2, and does it matter if using RAW firmware?

Cheers

Alun

EDIT: Competely missed Shauns second post there... some good stuff by the looks, will have to ahve a read!

Been a Newbie, I don't have any settings to suggest (unless it's for images of my kitchen!)... however, if you sign up to the forums at www.astronomyshed.co.uk there are a couple of video tutorials that walk you through setting up for planetary and LX imaging with webcam/Sharpcap. The only thing that baffles me is the difference with I420 and YUY2, and does it matter if using RAW firmware?

Cheers

Alun

EDIT: Competely missed Shauns second post there... some good stuff by the looks, will have to ahve a read!

It is intersting, i have asked and been told select YuY2, which they say is for RAW, but i thought the cam records in AVI, does it mean more software, alterations to cam.

I am totally confused.:glasses1:

What is LX Imaging, and which RAW firmware?, this astronomy lark is hard work

Shaun

Ha, it's easy to get total obsessed with this, but as you say, hard work!

LX Imaging, is long exposure photography with a modified webcam (known as SC1, SC1.5 or variations thereof... have a look at Philips SPC900NC uncovered LX mod & Amp Off). The RAW firmware can be found here astrobond.ebrawe although it seemed to be already included in my version of wcrmac.

As for YUY2, I'd seen the same thing in those video tutorials, but I want to know why, and what I420 would do... shall have to do a bit of googling! If I find anything I'll post back.

Cheers

Alun

Ha, it's easy to get total obsessed with this, but as you say, hard work!

LX Imaging, is long exposure photography with a modified webcam (known as SC1, SC1.5 or variations thereof... have a look at Philips SPC900NC uncovered LX mod & Amp Off). The RAW firmware can be found here astrobond.ebrawe although it seemed to be already included in my version of wcrmac.

As for YUY2, I'd seen the same thing in those video tutorials, but I want to know why, and what I420 would do... shall have to do a bit of googling! If I find anything I'll post back.

Cheers

Alun

So Alun, you use a further modded cam, i got the norm, from morgans pre-flashed, so this would just record in AVI?

I have searched but couldn't find answers, did you do the mod yourself?

I am yet to capture anything on mine, tried but couldnt get the settings, so nothing on the screen, i have been given this site below, you might get something of there, maybe usefull, Stark Labs

i await the results of your googling..lol, you are always welcome to PM me.

Shaun

Ah yes, should have explained. I have the standard SPC900 from Morgans which produces avi's for planeraty type stuff, only just got it, so have only used it once in anger and did some test shots of the moon, it worked, but I need more fiddling time!

The other one I have is a modded SPC900 from Astronomiser, bought it a few years ago, but the arrival of my daughter meant that it sat in the box until recently. Again, only messed with it a few times but without much success, although with Sharpcap I'm hopefull I can get to grips with it. I did actually try modding a non philips webcam (think it was a logitech one) got most of the way through the mod, but it required cutting away at a chip to expose some of the prong to solder against and it all went horribly wrong! Having looked at the pics for the SPC900 mod, I would consider it again as it look easier (I won't say simple!).

Been too busy lounging on sofa to google, so that'll have to wait for another day... I'm sure there'll be plenty more days of cloudy weather ;-)

Cheers

Alun

Archived