Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best objects through binoculars?

meteoriot

Hi

The link below is excellent for binocular astronomy. All types of objects are included to try and track down.

A sky atlas is helpful to assist in some of the obscure objects.

Your 15x70's will show some great views from this list.

Worth printing off.

Kembles Cascade page 9 is excellent through the 15x70's.:)

Jon

http://www.minds.may.ie/~astro2/IFASData/IFASBinocularHandbook.pdf

Hi Alan,

I sometimes just take a chart out with binos and try to map in clusters and other objects I can see, then look them up and identify them later.

I know that this is a bit different from many who pick a set of targets to hunt - but I feel that it is a useful exercise, and I often find things of interest that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

Dan

Hi Alan,

I sometimes just take a chart out with binos and try to map in clusters and other objects I can see, then look them up and identify them later.

I know that this is a bit different from many who pick a set of targets to hunt - but I feel that it is a useful exercise, and I often find things of interest that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

Dan

Hi Dan , boy you look to be in the right place to observe, how are the skies for you over there?

appreciate the advice :)

I appreciate the help. No probs about the post nexus lol. I will check out the links and I will certainly scan the milky way. Is the andromeda galaxy spottable with bins? I know where it is in the sky but when I look through binoculars or my brothers scope I see hundreds of extra stars and can no longer recognise the constellations to navigate to it lol.

I appreciate the help. No probs about the post nexus lol. I will check out the links and I will certainly scan the milky way. Is the andromeda galaxy spottable with bins? I know where it is in the sky but when I look through binoculars or my brothers scope I see hundreds of extra stars and can no longer recognise the constellations to navigate to it lol.

For sure M31 is visable with bins in fact it is visable naked eye if your lucky enough to live in some reasonable dark sky location, I have seen myself this way although I can normally only just make it out, on the rare occassions when there is good seeing and transapency it appears far more obvious. I often seem to not quite look high enough for some objects when using my bins so I would check that to see if it helps any although thats just how it works for me ;)

Clear Skies :)

• 3 weeks later...

Really glad I found your post Meteoriot! Like you, just a beginner with some very old 8x40 Bins wondering what to look for...so the links here are great!

Although, with my kit I think I'll struggle to spot most of the objects listed....still, at least I'll have fun trying to find where they 'should' be, learning my way around the skies as I go...all part of the learning curve!!

Really glad I found your post Meteoriot! Like you, just a beginner with some very old 8x40 Bins wondering what to look for...so the links here are great!

Although, with my kit I think I'll struggle to spot most of the objects listed....still, at least I'll have fun trying to find where they 'should' be, learning my way around the skies as I go...all part of the learning curve!!

Glad it was helpful to you also. Unfortunately I've only had a couple of clear skies since this. Managed to find the andromeda galaxy though and some great views.

The best in my view to kick off binocular astronomy are the ones you can already see with the naked eye: M31, M42, M44, M45, and the double cluster. These are spectacular in any pair of binoculars. If ever you got to the southern hemisphere, the Magellanic Clouds are a must! After that, progressively try for fainter stuff, such as M3, M13, M81 & M82, M51, and even M101 (hard one that, unless the skies are dark).

At the moment, many galaxies in Leo, Coma, and Virgo are well within range of the 15x70, but they do need dark skies, and a bit more patience to get.

In summer, simply trawl through the region of the milky way near Scorpius and Sagittarius. Planetaries tend to be not just too faint but also too small in many cases.

Archived