SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello...

Russell

Hi all - thought I aught to introduce myself...

I have been interested in the night sky for as long as I can remember, but have only really been observing for a couple of years so I'm pretty much a beginner.

I'm looking to get into basic astro photography (I currently have the Meade LPI for the planets and moon and an old 35mm Pentax SLR for piggyback widefields), but am currently perfecting polar and drift align techniques (which are pretty non-existant at the moment TBH!) so I can take things to the next level.

I really want to get out to as many events and star parties as I can this year and am currently planning to go to Astrofest (to get Patrics autograph naturally!), the Peak Star Party (www.peakstarparty.co.uk), Sky Camp (www.starparty.org) and hopefully the SGL event if at all possible.

That's it for now - look forward to getting to know you all during those ( - :D - ) evenings :p

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Contrary to these two heretics, polar alignment is an essential skill. It's just a matter of degree. (Double entendre intended.) If you have any qualms or questions along these lines, feel free to ask me directly. Email or PM. :D

Thats very generous AM, but I feel, no matter how many times I read the guides, or have it explained, its not going to be easy either way.

Caz

Welcome along Russell. Look forward to seeing some images from you soon. Good idea to get the hang of drift aligning for deep sky imaging. It gets quicker with practice. I still have to take a laminated sheet out with me that tells me which way to move the Alt and Az controls. Make sure you have a reticle EP, worth it's weight in gold. I take my scope out first and start drifting, by the time I have got all my other clutter out, connected everything up and gathered my thoughts the alignment is virtually done

Hi Russell

Welcome to SGL.

Plenty of imagers her who can help you with all aspects of this hobby.

Polar alignment is like colimation. The 1st time is utterlu confusing but it gets easier with practice.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers all-thanks for the offer too Astroman.

I've got a reticule EP and know how to drift align etc., but so far either the clouds have rolled in, my reticule batteries have run out or something else has gone wrong before I can really put my alignment to the test.

What with all the :p and :D there's been very little opportunity to :p

Contrary to these two heretics, polar alignment is an essential skill. It's just a matter of degree. (Double entendre intended.) If you have any qualms or questions along these lines, feel free to ask me directly. Email or PM. :D

Thats very generous AM, but I feel, no matter how many times I read the guides, or have it explained, its not going to be easy either way.

Caz

I was actually addressing Russell, Caz, but it goes for you, too. Ian is exactly correct-at first it's tricky, but all it really takes is practice. I still have a sheet on which way to move the axes, but once squared, it only takes me a few minutes to drift align. I manage to do it with people lined up to look through the scope at public parties, even. Fear not! Anyone can get the hang of it, just practice.

>Now wheres the smack on the back of the hand smiley< :D

Yeah, Russell, AM was addressing you! How did you let Caz get mixed up in this? Geez, Caz, if you're going to address Russell, make yourself clear, eh? Sorry, AM, what were you saying? Where are my pills? What's that in the water? :shock:

Archived