Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

NEQ6 altitude adjustment

Hi all,

I am setting up my spanking new NEQ6, and find the screw for elevation, with which I adjust the latitude, incredibly tight, particularly as I cross the 40 mark on the scale. It gets tighter each progressive turn, and I have loosened out the counter screw on the other side.

Is this just the way the mount is, and I persevere, or am I missing something. I hate to struggle to push the screw only to be rewarded by a crack and a snap.

Thanks in advance

Edited by hamiclar01

Yes, that is the way the mount is as standard and it is not very good. I had lots of trouble getting my mount to 52 degrees, the last 2 degrees was torture.

Do not force the bolts or you can end up with this:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/125300-warning-bendy-eq6-altitude-bolts.html

Instead take the weight of head as you adjust the mount so the force on the bolt is reduced.

I eventually replaced the altitude bolts in my mount and the difference is unbelievable, I can't recommend it enough.

Cheers,

Chris

are the std threads greased?

if so the head must be chunky and hefty and may always need a hand. if you strip the thread to the casting you could be in for a very costly repair/replace

proceed with caution definately

those ebay winged nuts look like they may clash!?

Edited by leenewtoastro

Hi all,

I am setting up my spanking new NEQ6, and find the screw for elevation, with which I adjust the latitude, incredibly tight, particularly as I cross the 40 mark on the scale. It gets tighter each progressive turn, and I have loosened out the counter screw on the other side.

Is this just the way the mount is, and I persevere, or am I missing something. I hate to struggle to push the screw only to be rewarded by a crack and a snap.

Thanks in advance

There's an old and famous mod for that which involves two things: popping off the circular side decals, removing the three small existing screws, drilling out and retapping the holes and replacing the small screws with bigger hexhead ones to make the adjustment much easier; and epoxying SS plates onto the contact points for the two elev screws to prevent them gouging into the alloy. (And yeah, many people have binned the original two screws in favour of stronger ones.)

But after saying all that, my EQ6 is stock and I've never had any probs with the elev settings, but then I'm always careful to an almost paranoid and neurotic degree! :)

Edited by Marmite

Admittedly, my NEQ6 has the replacement bolts, but I too was concerned having read the "bendy bolts" thread. I took the mount head off the tripod a couple of weekends ago, put it on its side, removed one of the bolts (easy without the load!) gave it a a good squirt with WD40 and then reinserted it. Then I did the same to the other other one, set it to c. 52 degrees and put it all back on the tripod (Oh, whilst about it I did the Az bolts as well).

It could just be me, but it seems much less stiff now...