SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dobsonian or EQ mount telescope.

BWBlackett

I have recenly become interested in astronomy and found this Forum.

Can anyone tell me if there is much difference in image quality between 2 telescopes below

The Skyliner 150 : 153mm (6") f7.84 Parabolic Dobsonian

and

Explorer 150P (EQ3-2) : 150mm (6") f5 Parabolic Newtonian Reflector

I guess it is harder to track an object with a Dobsonian, making photography more difficult but I could but a better mount later.

Any help appreciated.

Brian.

They are almost identical as far as the optical tube assembly (OTA) is concerned, with the Dob. being a longer focal length to give slightly higher magnification. Photography with the Dobsonian will be virtually impossible for most targets (the moon being the exception), so if you want to do photography, you need to get the equatorial mount.

That said, the EQ3-2 is a relatively lightweight mount so you may find it disappointing and have to get a bigger (more expensive) mount later.

You could do worse than buy the Dob. and buy an equatorial mount for it later. The Skyliner can be fitted with tube rings and a dovetail bar to allow this.

HTH

Welcome to the forum!

Captain Chaos

Welcome to the forum. :D

I also advice you that you buy better mount later. I start with the old EQ5 with aluminium tripod. This mount is bigger than EQ3 but I find it not good enough and later I buy HEQ5 Pro version which is much better mount. I don't think that EQ3 is match for any of this two scopes that you consider to buy. Also you must first need to learn a lot about the sky and dobsonian mount is easy to handle and you can also carry the scope and a mount together outside.

Saso

If you can stretch the budget to the 8" version, not only will you get noticeably better views (77% more Light Gathering than the 6") but you will also get a dual-fit 1.25"/2" focuser and a larger 9x50mm finder-scope:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dobsky200

At £249 (before SGL discount 8)) I doubt you will find a scope that will show you more.

Archived