SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M47 in Puppis

RikM

Okay, I have been a bit lax in posting sketches because I have been playing with my new camera since Christmas.

Tonight was full of broken cloud, but through the gaps, the sky looked clear and fairly dark considering the 3/4 moon. I put the Skymax out too cool for an hour then just had a trawl around looking for something new. With a bit of good fortune, I stumbled on the open cluster M47 in Puppis, which is a new Messier for me, so I grabbed my notebook and played dot-to-dot for 10 min.

I normally scan my sketches in and the invert them, but since I have a trial version of Photoshop CS5 up at the mo, I thought I would try and copy my pencil sketch onto a grey circle template using the feathered brush tool and dot in the stars. This page is 512 x 410 at 96 dpi. I used 3pt, 2pt and 1pt for the stars. The circle is 90% black.

I think it has come out okay, but I will use a higher resolution next time probably 1024 x 820 at 300 dpi.

post-18573-133877532859_thumb.jpg

Archived