Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

rorschach

So, How BIG is the Universe? find out here

lol very good, I really like that

Universe looks bigger on my 28" monitor than on my 24" - I assume its all relative.

:)

that's very dependant on what's relative, and whether its special or not!! :)

Edited by rorschach

really good, puts it all in a perspective thats easy to follow

thanks again for posting rorschach :)

This is a great illustration of the cosmos, thanks so much for posting. I showed one of my friends and he posed me a question I couldn't answer. I shall paste it here if anyone can help.

"Right, see, I looked at this earlier before going to bed, which was a mistake, because about half an hour afterwards I was lying awake thinking. The thing that troubles me is this:

The limit of the observable universe is 140ym, because there... is not enough time in the universe for the light of something beyond that limit to reach us. Yet they estimate the size of the universe to be 900ym.

How can it be more than 280ym in diameter? - if the speed of light truly is the absolute limit of travel, then the edge of the universe can't logically be further in light years from the universal centre than exists years in which it can travel at the universal speed limit.

D'you see now why I regret looking at that thing?"

My step son liked that. He was particularly impressed by our star being such a shrimp compared to many others. Thanks for posting it.

cheers, Martin

This is a great illustration of the cosmos, thanks so much for posting. I showed one of my friends and he posed me a question I couldn't answer. I shall paste it here if anyone can help.

"Right, see, I looked at this earlier before going to bed, which was a mistake, because about half an hour afterwards I was lying awake thinking. The thing that troubles me is this:

The limit of the observable universe is 140ym, because there... is not enough time in the universe for the light of something beyond that limit to reach us. Yet they estimate the size of the universe to be 900ym.

How can it be more than 280ym in diameter? - if the speed of light truly is the absolute limit of travel, then the edge of the universe can't logically be further in light years from the universal centre than exists years in which it can travel at the universal speed limit.

D'you see now why I regret looking at that thing?"

Hi Adz, I am not qualied to give you the answer to your question but I know if you post a thread in the Physics sub thread the guys who use it will give you the definative answer. I like to read the stuff they post on there myself but it can get a bit tricky to follow some of the content, but hey "I'm a gardener not a doctor" :)

Adz,

I wait to be corrected on this , but I'm sure they have worked out the projected mass of the universe, when the universe began, and how much its expanding by.

by knowing these parameters, they can theorise on the size and shape of the universe.

oh.... and I forgot, something like 80% of the known universe appeared in the first few nano seconds of it's existence....its a head bender indeed!

as I say that's just my understanding, and I wait to be corrected by a much more learned person! :)

Edited by rorschach

From programmes I've been watching, they seem to indicate that the early universe was travelling/expanding at faster than 'speed of light' speeds.

Debating that one is a whole other can of worms to open up as supposedly anything with Mass cannot go faster than the speed of light, however, I think due to the fact that the early universe was not mass at all and was mainly energy, perhaps a great portion of the universe's size was 'amassed' before 'mass' was even in the picture?!

My usual caveat of 'I'm not an expert' applies :)

Edited by AlexB

In fact, it is said that many of the distantly viewable galaxies are still moving away from us at nearly the speed of light (I'm pretty sure that's what they'd said.)

You have to think that the galaxies themselves aren't moving faster than light, but the space between them and us is expanding faster than C. They are being carried away by expansion and not their own movement "within" spacetime and aren't breaking the cosmic speed limit. That is how I understand it anyway :)

And thanks to the OP for directing me to the website, it really does put things into perspective and make me feel so small yet so huge at the same time ;)

In Response to ADZ query -

I have tried to reply in the most basic way - so as to not waffle lol

Cosmologists, physicist etc have claimed that the universe itself can expand faster than the speed of light. Like many things I am not really sure of their reasoning but I think it may be that the expansion is taking place throughout the universe not just at the edge. Certainly there are theories which suggest the universe went through what is known as an inflationary period when it grew faster than the speed of light quite early on when the universe was still small.

Part of the problem is that it is supposed that in some strange way (4th dimension) the universe bends back on itself so the most distant point is also behind you as well as in front of you - this is a mathematical sort of thing. No one can really say they have a good idea of quite what this means. How would you explain to a 2 dimensional being how you can go round a globe in 3 dimensional space and come back to where one started? There are many problems out there

- some have some sort of mathematical existence but not available to our minds. Mathematics contains the concept of the square root of minus one and electrical engineers use it but it has no reality in our understanding.

I will have a further ponder and come back to this thread with any further updates i feel would be interesting to add :glasses1:

Great thread btw - :)

Thank you all for the input, my friend is bamboozled!

This is all very interesting to me as well because I was considering a course with this type of content after the one I am currently studying.

Fantastic to try and take on board the perspective of it.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Chris