SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Revelation 15x70's & tripod - right ones?

MrsR

I had a look through some Revelation 15x70's last week and was blown away and I know I will need a tripod to go with them also but just trying to double check if these were the right ones to go with?

I will be getting a scope but I will not rush into one until I know all the ins and outs and save the money so it may be a little time so I want a decent set of binos to do my observing with.

Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are a good binocular to own and probably virtually identical to the Celestron 15x70's.

As you mention 15x70 will always need to be mounted on a tripod for any serious viewing.I can hand hold mine for short period (10-15 minutes) scans of various DSO.

For longer periods of scanning the sky for DSO hand held, and for and not having to use a tripod unless wished,a similar priced 10x50 should also be considered as a first pair of binocs imho.

Trouble with this hobby,so much choice out there and difficult decisions to be made.

I started off with 10x50 then purchased 15x70 and finally 20x90's.

Still use them all but do not tripod mount the 10x50 or 15x70's anymore ,I save that for the 20x90's only.

Jon

15x70's will indeed show some fantastic views and I would definately get a decent tripod for them :)

think joh as given you the right advice MrsR, be carefull you might want some bigger one's! ;) and 10x50's are probably the best piece of astro kit I have bought in regards for money paid to rewards given, £25.00, worth it without a doubt :)

Seriously though you can go round in circles forever looking at reviews and asking advice, buy something use it and get some experience. If you get the 15x70 you will not regret it and if you do some one here will buy them off you.

I am sure you'll love the bins. I believe that a monopod is much more flexible than a tripod unless you are constantly handing over to show others what you have found.

if on a budget, something like this Professional Aluminium Camera Monopod includes Footrest: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics might be good option. even if you eventually get a tripod, this would be a good holiday combo when space is tight.

something like this Professional Aluminium Camera Monopod includes Footrest: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics might be good option.

I've just purchased one of these for my Revelation 15x70s and it does the job really well. I'm well impressed with both the Binos and the monopod, the monopod especially, as it cost less than a tenner.

Got myself the Horizon 8115 today via the For Sale section on this forum for £50. It's in mint condition (cheers ashworthacca). Very impressed with the height and stability.

29f07713.jpg

Got myself the Horizon 8115 today via the For Sale section on this forum for £50. It's in mint condition (cheers astonacca). Very impressed with the height and stability.

29f07713.jpg

Good GOD is that the full height of the Horizon 8115?

I have one myself for my 20x90 bins but being in a wheelchair i have never extended it to its full height.

It is a very stable tripod for bins and i even use my 70mm scope on it.

I just had no idea that it is that tall when fully extended.

Yeah it's one tall tripod. I was questioning getting it at first because of the quoted height of 180cm but I think it is much higher in the flesh so to speak. The tripod adaptor probably adds a couple of inch too. Next on the list is a Triton ballhead.

Just a quick off topic question. My images upload at full size but I have seen alot of people upload thumbnail sized images. How do I do this?

Yeah I've spotted the little spikes. I'm sure they will come in handy. All in I am very happy with my purchase. The first of probably many via the For Sale section on the forum. I can feel a remortgage coming on :glasses1:

Hi Mrs R

The horizon 8115 is superb value I use 15x80 Optrons binoculars

and 20x80 , you would need a ball head that would hold the binoculars and let you move it around to different positions

Hope this helps you to choice , clear skies

Doug

Essex

I have also seen this tripod Binoculars UK Ltd. Camlink TP PRO Tripods It's the TPPRO32B at the bottom of the page. This extends to over 200cm and is less than £80! Looks well made and substanial too. I might still get one of these and use the Horizon for a camera.

The ballhead I will be getting Triton Panhead, Ballhead Action Grip for tripod on eBay (end time 20-Mar-11 12:02:50 GMT)

Archived