Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 130P or similar...

hi guys,

had another good play on my little 70mm travelscope on sat night and even got the girlfriend interested! had some cracking views of the moon and jupiters disc and moons!

been doing a bit of research and thinking that the above mentioned scope or similar will be the one, im happy with the specs etc and noticed quite a few of you guys have scopes similar, 1 question i do have about is the stand/mount/tripod

is it a "standing/sitting" sized? im 5ft 10 so not particularly tall, so is it easy enough to stand and watch, do prefer to stand, im having to sit and squat and move around with the travelscope. :)

What's you budget. Personally I would go for something with a slightly larger aperture and a more sturdier mount.

newexplorer150peq32.jpg

Under £250, but well worth the extra £82 IMO - and by looking at some of the results some people have posted quite a capable scope

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/explorer-150p-eq3-2-with-free-dvd_d3655.html

i was probably looking at around £150ish something i can quickly set up and have a mooch from my back garden or local area, but all advice is good advice at the mo, starting to look for some local clubs coventry-rugby area, to try and look through some decent equipment and weigh up the budget accordingly, i just like the idea of looking up at the sky, if its clear, get set up quickly and have a look before it rains or goes cloudy!

cant wait for a clear sky just before i leave for work to have a quick look at saturn, so far it has eluded me!

thanks again

i was probably looking at around £150ish something i can quickly set up and have a mooch from my back garden or local area, but all advice is good advice at the mo, starting to look for some local clubs coventry-rugby area, to try and look through some decent equipment and weigh up the budget accordingly, i just like the idea of looking up at the sky, if its clear, get set up quickly and have a look before it rains or goes cloudy!

cant wait for a clear sky just before i leave for work to have a quick look at saturn, so far it has eluded me!

thanks again

I still would wait for another payday to increase the budget to £250 and go for the SW Explorer 150P on the EQ-3. The light gathering will be at least half as much again as the 130, and the mount much more stable should you want to later try basic photography with it. It's also portable, so fairly easy to pop in and out as and when you fancy observing.

Archived