Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81-81/ M51/M101/M92/M13/M56

yoda

Hi all

Well well after seven nights of cloud clear skys prevailed 2.30 AM-4.45AM and a chance to get out with the scope in to an LP sky, O i'm glad I did first target was a favorite of mine Bods'e nebulae, M81-82 two galaxys close together in Ursa major. Then it was all firsts for me after that.

So I had a go at the Whirlpool galaxy M51 and bingo after 10 min's of looking (I'm still not that good at finding things yet stellarium is invalubale for when I'm star hopping) and I coud see faint detail in the arms.

I went back inside to look at stellarium and seen that M101 was near by so that was my next target. Now this one took a bit longer to find but find I did, it's a great feeling looking at an object for the first time.

so then I desided to have a look for some Globular clusters and I'm glad I did, M92 looked great as did M56 but the great cluster in Hercules M13 looked amazing.

All in all five firsts and one of my favorites, it was one of the best nights I've had yet.

Thankyou for reading and all the best.:)

Great report Andy !

That list includes some of my favourite objects - I never seem to tire of observing them as the seasons progress and they reach favourable positions. 10" of aperture really does them justice as well - especially the globular clusters :)

A really productive session ;)

Well done. You are clearly getting good at locating things...

M13 is just awesome. What power did you use. If you get it high enough with enough light it becomes a glorious spread of microscopic stars..

Try M3 which is now rising under the tail of the plough. A tough one to find but worth the effort. Nearly as good as M13?

Mark

Hi guy's thank's for the kind words.

Mark the EP was the celestron 32mm plossl-(amazing finder EP and clear as a clear thing)37.5X and a X2 barlow giving 75X so not two hight. but the micro stars were still there.

M3 was a first last week amazing sight I found it by uesing Arcturus in Boots and headed north.

If possible go higher than 75x. Try 150 to 200x so 6mm or 4mm focal length eyepiece. This is a different experience as the globular fills the view and the individual stars stand out more. It is a bit of a challenge to focus correctly but with 250mm you should be able to do it.

Mark

It sounds like you had a great nights observing whilst the rest of us are still under this persistent blanket of cloud.

A nice selection of DSO's that you managed to view, especially M101 which I have found to be a difficult object from my moderately light polluted skies, it is very faint and diffuse :)

Hi Andy, agree with comments already given, well done in finding some great objects, I also really enjoy globulars and rate M13 as one of my personnal favourite dso's.

Yes you should treat yourself and get a higher power ep.

My best view was with the 9mm Nagler, 261x, simply stunning :)

Clear skies?? whats that :)

I know what you're thinking but according to my clear/cloudy skies table, there were clear nights (for my area anyway) on the nights of the 13th and 14th but unfortunately I had no opportunity to observe on both of those nights :o

Hi Andy, agree with comments already given, well done in finding some great objects, I also really enjoy globulars and rate M13 as one of my personnal favourite dso's.

Yes you should treat yourself and get a higher power ep.

My best view was with the 9mm Nagler, 261x, simply stunning :)

Got a 8mm tele vue plossl now and a 16mm nagler so m13 shoud look great.

Hi Yoda!

I must admit I've had almost 3 months of cloudy skies and bad weather, and last night I've managed to find 9 DSO's in one night.

It pay's some much with excitement!! I never felt this good when I first started Astronomy when I was 12, and seeing Saturn for the first time through my first telescope.

I can never forget that view, but I know that I've seen, like yourself and many others had seen that there is some many wonders out there, That most of these stupid people don't even realise what their missing.

I take great pleasure to show and demonstrate to other people these fantastic wonders, And I'm starting to influence more and more people into Astronomy, I've even had one guy tried to give me offer on my 12" Dob scope, cos he was so impressed with the views on the scope on that same night.

I had was not going to make no such offer, but I suggested to him, to buy a set binoculars first to try and get started into Astronomy.

But it pay's in the end! to have a interest like this when new people become interested in this great subject we all like doing the most!!! :)

Since you showed your grit by going from M81/82 to M51 to M101 you should plan your next middle of the night (I do the same thing) observation run to hit the galaxies around Leo (M65/M66/NGC3628 -> all visible in the same view ... or NGC3384/M105/M96/M95 -> which run in a line). I agree - first light on DSOs is always great - especially when you're sacrificing your beauty sleep to do it.

Hi Yoda!

I must admit I've had almost 3 months of cloudy skies and bad weather, and last night I've managed to find 9 DSO's in one night. :eek:

Congrat's PARTY MARTY nine DSO's in one night :rolleyes: lets hope you (and me) get more clear skys to get out thear a bit more.

Since you showed your grit by going from M81/82 to M51 to M101 you should plan your next middle of the night (I do the same thing) observation run to hit the galaxies around Leo (M65/M66/NGC3628 -> all visible in the same view ... or NGC3384/M105/M96/M95 -> which run in a line). I agree - first light on DSOs is always great - especially when you're sacrificing your beauty sleep to do it.

Hi m_j_lyons M65-M66-NGC3628 are in the east right above a street light so I think thay will have to wait untell thay are in a better place:mad:.

Archived