SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 12 feb 2011

chrisrnuttall

Hello again

here is a drawing of Jupiter from Saturday afternoon.

I set up the scope and left it to cool while I searched for Jupiter with my 10x50 binoculars, It took about 30 minutes for me to find it and align the scope to it as it was still broad daylight.

Once i got it centred I popped in an eyepiece and the image was terrible, boiling and wriggling about all over the place. Ant V or IV.

Things did not improve much over the hour and it made no difference how fast I ran my (considerable) cooling fans, so I can only conclude that the air above me was churning around a high speed. However the image was sharp despite its constant motion so some details were noted.

The SEB at this longitude is pretty much complete, albeit with a paler patch just rising into view. It is much less red that the NEB, and a little weaker in colour too. The GRS had recently set to the left hand side of the disc.

Callisto is approaching Jupiter for a grazing transit of the SPR.

post-17454-133877532411_thumb.jpg

Archived