Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars

rmp

Since I started looking up at the sky last year, I have decided it's time to get some new equipment (I am currently using an old pair of 10x50s which don't have a very clear view - out of collimation I think - but they did allow me to see Jupiter's moons and that was a WOW moment!)

Rather than get a telescope yet, I thought a better pair of bins would be a better choice until I am really familiar with the sky. But what to get....?!?

I initially thought the Celestron Skymaster 15x70s the best choice, but I have read they need to be tripod mounted. Since I'm still hopping about a fair bit, I then thought 10x50s a better option... then I read 8x42s are lighter to hold. Now I'm really confused!

I've read several threads on here but would appreciate a few pointers. I live in a fairly light-polluted area and think light weight might be a good think as I have found lying on a lilo makes my neck feel a lot better!

Should I get two cheaper pairs of different magnifications or once decent pair? I'd rather buy right the first time and not be dissapointed even if it does mean saving up again for the next pair. Budget about £150 max.

Thanks folks!

A lot of folk on this site sway towards 15x70's for magnification, light gathering & value for money. They could possibly be hand-held but a tripod is needed for extended viewing - £150 will do it !!. Im looking at 20x90's, maybe 25x100's at a later date - Im still saving !!

Hi

15x70 plus a nice tripod say the Horizon with a ball head £150.00

remember the tripod can be used if you decide to go for 20x90 in the future

I have a number of pairs of binocular 8x16x40 zooms this was the first pair I had

I also have 10x50, 10x60, 15x80 20x80 and I like them all my favourite pair is the

Opticron 15x80 lovely clear sharp view, for hand held I like the Oberwerk 10x60 mariner from the USA I believe they go under a different name here but one of the guy or gals will know my be Strathspey ? not sure Paul may know if he sees this

let us know what you decide

Doug

Essex

8x42 is a bit small, 10x50 is great, 15x70 brilliant. However, I personally quite happily hand-hold the 15x70. Not everyone is happy with that. One trick is to use a reclining chair, that stabilizes the view very well. If you are in some dark location with your car, you can lean your elbows on the car roof for support (I do this in campsites frequently, to the bemusement of onlookers). Having said that, a tripod is not expensive, helps stabilize things, and is handy for photography as well.

If you have £150 you are very close to being able to buy a really good entry level scope like a skywatcher 6" dob. it will show you way more than any bins. There are, of course, things that a bigger pair of bins will beat the scope on - nice low power widefield views - but for moon, planets, dsos, double stars, the scope will kick the bins butt bigtime.:)

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't want to get a scope yet as where I live would make it difficult to use - but it's on the wish list!

I think I'll go for the 15x70's. I already have a tripod for my camera, so that will help.

Thanks again - what a nice helpful forum this is!

Archived