Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Barlow

My new Skywatcher 127 Synscan came with a 2x Barlow. I was surprised because a Barlow was not included in the advertised equipment list. It looks exactly like the Skywatcher deluxe 2x Barlow which retails at about £30.

Is this a reasonable quality Barlow lens? It seems to give good results.

post-23950-133877531863_thumb.jpg

Karen,

1) It's probably not the Deluxe version but the "standard" one which is just a single glass element and not good.

2) This telescope (the 127) doesn't require a Barlow (least of all a cheap one that spoils the image) - it's a slow scope and works best without.

It is the deluxe barlow and works very well. Unless you are considering webcam imaging (I got a 3x Tal barlow) I would not waste money buying a more expensive one as the Mak does not need expensive barlows. I actually bought an extra 2x skywatcher barlow that I stacked with the other 2x along with a 32mm plossl and had excellent planetary views.

Save your pennies on a "set" of eyepieces. A well chosen two or three will be better and will allow you to buy better quality. (And you won't be paying for a flimsy box and a few unnecessary filters etc).

I aim to get three. 32mm, 15mm or 12.5mm, and a 9mm.

Archived