1564402927_Comet2021Banner.jpg.a8d9e102cd65f969b635e8061096d211.jpg

Let The Building Begin

Armsoft

Wow! I am green. Royal assent? I have mother superior so no headway for me as yet. Cannot see how close to the fence line the obs is but an odd concrete stub to secure the fence posts may be useful - then its the minimal panel repair/replace. But these are mundane things. Well done. Keep the pics coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Old British Weather has prevented much progress lately (plus working Monday - Friday), but finally managed to get the power sorted (so can work on the inside in the evenings after work)

Pics 1 to 3 Armoured Cabeling in place

5502495041_0633ce3d26_m.jpg

5502495061_40874fa401_m.jpg

5502495049_6d59bbcf41_m.jpg

Pic 4 - RCD Unit in Scope Room

5503091076_a540f7fb39_m.jpg

Pic 5 & 6 - Light Connected

5502495081_bfab6f3518_m.jpg

5502495097_7be3e7e887_m.jpg

Hoping to get the warm room insulated and boarded out this week

5502495077_54ee4f3580_m.jpg

Got 5 double sockets to go in the warm room (hopefully thats enough?), and also looking to put in a small panel heater (just in case).

With the lights, I`m having a bulkhead either end of the warm room, should I have these as one white light and one red light?

On the subject of red light, where is everyone getting their red bulbs from? I picked up a couple of the fireglow red bulbs from Sainsburys, are these the ones to use?

I was just going to have one bulkhead light in the scope room, and I assume this should just be a red one?

I`ll hopefully have a few more pics to upload next weekend.

Thanks guys & girls

hoping to get the warm room insulated and lined over the next couple of weeks, along with getting the sockets in.

I`m having a rethink about the roof, as my wife has given permission for the holly tree thats on the left of the obs to be cut down.

My thinking now is to roll the roof off from the rear of the scope room (this would also give an opportunity to gain some storage area for mower/BBQ etc etc).

I`m looking to replace the `Shed` type door on the outside with a standard internal door from B&Q and pin the panals from the shed door to the front, this will give the `Look` of a shed door from the outside with the warmth of a snug fit door on the inside (warm room), I`ll also replace the internal door with the same type of door from B&Q but dispense with the shed door panals.

Once the warm room has been lined I`ve got a KGuard 4 Camera CCTV system to install (3 camera`s in the scope room and 1 camera in the warm room for security).

A lot planned for the next few weeks, I just hope all the effort is worth it.

Looks really good.

In the scope room I'd be tempted to have white light with a well fitting red filter. That way, should you never want to do rainy day maintenance, just whip the filter off, and you have good illumination.

• 3 weeks later...

Weather not been good for Obsy build, but the last couple of days has allowed a few bits to be done.

Pic RoRo Roof Supports in Place

5553240943_c475421093_m.jpg

Pic RoRo Roof Supports with Moon in Background

5553825498_dfc62dc6cc_m.jpg

Pic Moon in Daylight taken with Sony DSC-HX1 (not the best pic you`ll see, but with all the cloudy nights lately, needs must)

5553826804_56ba50f28e_m.jpg

Pic Expanding Foam Filling to Seal Warm Room

5553824242_6a7b2629e1_m.jpg

5553823938_8ef06d0c9e_m.jpg

Pic Insullation Going in the walls of the Warm Room

5553239529_497979fcec_m.jpg

Pic Moon Last Night through Sony DSC-HX1

5553824092_2d4c3e8e25_m.jpg

Hope to get Warm Room fully insullated tomorrow and Security Doors in place :D

• 2 weeks later...
Its looking very nice. The only problem I would have with an observatory is sleeping. Id be up everynight worrying about all my gear being at the bottom of the garden!

Jamie,

The following updates might put your mind at rest -

Door to Scope Room with 3 Dead Bolts Fitted

5610618902_c533896a85_m.jpg

Door To Scope Room with CCTV Camera Fitted

5610040353_47f9b0cd41_m.jpg

There are 3 more camera`s in the scope room itself.

I have a monitored ADT Alarm System for the house, so pressure pads under the Coir Matting in the warm room should cover most eventualities (and provoke the arrival of the Police in the event of a break-in:eek:), but at the end of the day if someone is intent on breaking in and stealing your stuff, it won`t really matter what security you have in place, and that includes if you have the stuff stored in your house.

It is what it is, and if we worried about what `might` happen all the time, we would proberbly all lock ourselves into an impermable room (but that would not be much fun), so I guess you do what you can to protect your belongings, and if that fails, trust the Police to do their bit (and the insurance company)

Mark

A couple more updates since last posting -

1. RoRo Roof in place and operational

5610703236_6c92c5c7fe_m.jpg

5610125437_eff1bfd6bf_m.jpg

5610039553_9b6fcbcfb2_m.jpg

5610038775_5ab7e363c2_m.jpg

2. Scope Mounted on Pier and EQ6 (not aligned yet:confused:)

5610041813_bd6c9fe460_m.jpg

5610042351_4f7b7bef4f_m.jpg

3. Radiator Mounted (and working) in Warm Room

5610620216_6d1982f842_m.jpg

The next week or so will allow me to deal with the `Asthetics` such as "beading along any gaps" and "Architrave around doors" and "felt shingles for the roof" (is this build ever going to end!)

Q. Do I need to paint the walls in the warm room Black?? any thoughts/experience

And then Aligning the mount (although I`m hoping to have some help with that this Saturday?) and then once connected to the PC, I`ve just got to look forward to the Clear Sky`s (oh no, I forgot, I live in the UK lol)

Mark

Edited by Armsoft

paint the walls in the warm room white as the only reflected light will be from your red light and will not reduce your night vision ,then if you use white light in the daytime you will see more then than if your warmroom was black

This is how you paint darkrooms as well

paint the walls in the warm room white as the only reflected light will be from your red light and will not reduce your night vision ,then if you use white light in the daytime you will see more then than if your warmroom was black

This is how you paint darkrooms as well

Thanks for the advice Vinny, do you know if there is any benefit from painting the scope room walls black? (otherwise Homebase have some black paint coming back to them :D)

Mark

it mayby handy to have the scope room black in case there is any white light escaping into it from the outside when the roof is opened or if you fancy painting a halloween themed scope room

With all your security measures, I will get in anyway... :D

Open door for you Chris, especially if your able to get the mount aligned! (its not something I`m going to be able to do on my own).

Tried doing a bit of visual earlier on (moving the scope manually) and seemed to have a few problems with the focuser (not used it before), so will have to do some reading up to see what I`m doing wrong as its bound to be `User Error`:rolleyes:

Not meaning to be rude, with my previous post, btw, but if that amount of prep was suitable - I'd be tempted to emulate it with my build - I envisaged a whole lot of digging, as when I laid my patio!

Edited by Shandy
Spelling error

Is that concrete laid straight down on top of the soil!?? No hardcore and sand first?

Alex

Post #6 page one.

Cotswold stone not concrete, but an understandable worry. I believe the sheds are built over stretchers laid across and onto what looks like marine ply or shuttering board.

XLNT build BTW very impressed- should keep out of trouble :)

Post #6 page one.

Cotswold stone not concrete, but an understandable worry. I believe the sheds are built over stretchers laid across and onto what looks like marine ply or shuttering board.

XLNT build BTW very impressed- should keep out of trouble :)

Well Observed (pardon the pun) beamish

Really pleased with the stability of the structure so far (only time will tell)

Should have mount aligned and connected to a PC this weekend, so all systems go soon (I hope) Clear Sky`s permitting!

• 2 months later...

I think the base should be fine. The scope mounting is set into concrete and is independent of the main shed floor. After all, if you put up a shed for the usual mundane reasons, how many of us would build a hardcore base first? Maybe a slab or three but that's it. Any potential flex in the floor should not transmit to the mounting. I think my main worry if did the same - but garden not big enough - would be damp and those irritating pests that find access no matter what you do.

Enjoyed this thread although it just ain't fair that I can't emulate such a project.

Green, green and more green.