Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Join My Astronomy Class!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Geo!

Our weather hasn't been much different from Scotland this winter/spring, very cold and wet for us!

If you are interested in my classes IRL, you can click HERE, or maybe HERE for some videos of the action in class! Lotsa laughs!

Dan

• 9 months later...

great ideal dude cant wait to get stuck into these papers you should do a online astronomy course once a week by webcam with appropriate worksheets to complete im sure a brilliant top notch American professor would breeze through it ha ha ha as i know lots of people would love it or film your lectures or something i know i would take it easy bro

• 1 month later...

Excellent stuff :(

I think astronomy should be brought into schools and our councils should start reducing light pollution so we can see the night sky in its full true form.

I'm a guy who has loads of stuff I like, I'm 32 now and have loved scifi and always loved the stars but Im also a computer guy and love my playstations and Xbox , I loved my good old spectrum and c64 and Amiga .

When I was younger when I was fit enough I loved football now I only watch it.

My point being is I can still do all that stuff with exception of football :) and still have time to do them it's just balancing them all out.

Kids today need to know there's more in the world to do and looking at the stars and planets may sound strange but when you get to see them with your own eyes is breathtaking.

Thumbs up from me for this thread :(

My wife (who's a primary school teacher) has asked me to go along to her school to give a talk to the children in her class and take my scope along. Being pretty new to this myself I've so far put her off but I'll show her this and see what she thinks for starting a junior astronomy club next Autumn - its very helpful and thank you so much for taking the time out to share

Steve

Many thanks

My nieces will love this

Hello Folks!

I love astronomy, and I'm very lucky! I get paid for the hobby we all love so much! :( I teach introductory astronomy at both the high school and at the college "101" level. As such, I teach some 120-150 beginners astronomy every semester! :)

My course is observational in nature - and everyone is expected to go out in the dark at least once a week and observe! Sometimes this means just pencil and paper activities, sketching and learning constellations, other times it will mean using a binocular or a basic telescope and observing, sketching and recording what you see.

I have a packet of 12 labs and activities attached here that you can download, print out and try yourselves. All activities are suitable for anyone from Cub Scouts to Old Farts - they truly are introductory in nature and everyone should find them easy to follow.

They are also suitable for parents who want home school lessons, Dads (and Moms!) who want something astronomical and fun to do with their kids, Scout Leaders, Astronomy Outreach materials for clubs, and yes -- teachers who want to convince their students that "Science is a Verb!" :(

Any one who is a teacher, a Scout Leader, or a club Outreach Leader is more than welcome to contact me. I can help you with your efforts to promote and improve astro-education at any level!

Looking forward to the Dark!!!

Dr. Daniel Barth

Associate Prof. / Astronomy & Physics

Mt. San Jacinto College

San Jacinto, CA - USA

Archived