SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Join My Astronomy Class!

Do you think we should have a whole 'Prof Dans fan club' forum :)

We joke, but I know that plenty of people would be happy to receive a Barth College certificate for completing the beginner’s course - I don’t think I have seen a better intro anywhere! And it gives us kids (young and old) something to aim for.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think we should have a whole 'Prof Dans fan club' forum ;)

We joke, but I know that plenty of people would be happy to receive a Barth College certificate for completing the beginner’s course - I don’t think I have seen a better intro anywhere! And it gives us kids (young and old) something to aim for.

Thanks, Richard! :o

Still working on that logo for the diploma..... :)

We are on break today for President's Day - so no new activities just yet. Maybe some more in a few days.

Anyone interested in a project to time the Earth's rotation and the length of the sidereal day??? :(

Dan

hello how to join your class and forum.

i am beginer please guide me...

Hello Ravi! Welcome to SGL!

I teach a regular introduction to astronomy class in the States, but I post the astronomy lab activities here for anyone to enjoy. Go to the first post from this thread, and at the bottom of the post is an attached file with 12 new activities you can download and use for free. They are all self-explanatory, and should be OK for anyone who can use a telescope (12 years old and up).

Enjoy them, and let us know how you do!

Dan

Thank you very much. Just went a little against some advice and bought a scope far sooner than I should have done, hopefully these will help me accelerate my learning. Will let you know how I get on once I've worked thorugh them.

Greetings to Candice, PhilSparrow, and Synapse - welcome to SGL and to my astronomy class!

I hope that you enjoy the activities - there is a new one on Lunar Geology at the Eyepiece posted on SGL as well.

Synapse - there is no such thing as "buying a scope too soon" - how silly of you! :) I suppose one could be an over-enthusiastic uncle and get the 6-month old nephew or niece a new scope - but it is never too early to help yourself to the wonders of the sky.

Just set it up, pop in the lowest power eyepiece (usually the largest of the lot) and go ahead and enjoy the views at the eyepiece. Doesn't matter if you find anything special or if you know what you are looking at - just enjoy yourself at first!

Sooner or later you will want to point your scope at something specific, like the Moon or Saturn - then we can chat about lining up your finder scope! :(

Have fun folks, and let me know how you do.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

Thanks so much for this! I'm going to start them tonight with my 11 year old daughter. She has shown an interest after gawping at Saturn and Titan a few nights ago!

I've just watched your course introduction video and all I can say is I wish I was over there and could sign up! :D

You look like the kind of inspirational teacher I wish I had had at school, complete with the "zero tolerance on bad behaviour, we are here to learn" attitude!

Cheers,

Brent.

Just a bump of this thread for those who have come in to SGL in the past month or so.

Over 300 downloads of the class materials, and no requests for a refund yet!!!! :D

Have fun everybody, and post some of your results. I'll be designing some new activities for Spring viewing as soon as we get done with spring academic testing in a couple of weeks. (Everyone is busy at school preparing like crazy until then.)

Dr. Barth

Over 300 downloads of the class materials, and no requests for a refund yet!!!! :D

Ah, I was just about to contact you about that!! lol

Seriously though, great stuff - I just need the time to get started - I'm late with my homework - sorry sir, the dog ate it!

Hello SirFoo and SolarWallace!

Welcome to my astronomy class guys! I hope that you enjoy the activities - you are also welcome to share them about with your mates in the local club. If you know of a local science teacher who might benefit, then please don't hesitate to put them in touch with me.

I help teachers all over the world improve astronomy education for kids - and you can help spread the word! :D

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Just a bump for this thread to help the newcommers find it!

We've had over 1400 views and almost 400 downloads of these astronomy activities so far - and not a single refund request! :)

I'm really pleased that so many of you have found this helpful and valuable. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you!

Dr. Barth

Dan,

I want to add my thanks and appreciation for the information.

Wish I was close enough to join in on a class.

Fair winds and following seas,

John

You're most welcome John!

Let me know if you need any help or have questions... and if you figure out how to get rid of the clouds, just let me know! :)

Dan

Archived