Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Martin 2

Heads up, Sky at Night

Yep

And Sir PM is livid. :D:p :p and I think he has a point.

I will be watching it tommorrow on BBC4 at a more reasonable hour.

Cheers

Ian

Think i will watch the repeat on BBC4 tommorow @ 7.30 pm

Rumor has it Patrick Moore isnt happy about the scheduling that late in the night :D

They probably think that anyone who is interested in astronomy will obviously be up at such a time (even when its cloudy)

Shoot the scheduler!

Paul

<Gets his "emailing BBC" head on>

You would think the BEEB would treat the guy a little better after the years of service he has given them.

His audience figures would rocket if they would only give him a decent time slot.

Barkis. :D

No chance as they cant sell the programe abroad so it will never become mainstream.

Cant really see Celebrity Stargazing catching on as a format :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/tv/int/other/contact/-/feedback/

Cant find the actual schedulers email address lol

FYI heres my mail to them:

Dear Scheduler,

I would like to add to Sir. Patrick Moores dissappointment about the time that the Sky At Night programme is scheduled.

Surely the BBC should pride themselves in promoting education amongst the population of the UK but scheduling a science programme for 1:55am is only going to draw a minimal audience of devoted viewers.

Come on BBC! - Lets have the Sky At Night at a decent hour when it can do some good to stretch the imaginations of non-astrnomers and maybe even spark a bit of interest in those that have no knowledge of the subject!

I'd have thought that Sir Patrick would have been treated with a bit more respect after 50 years of devoted service to the BBC!

Regards,

Paul Stephen

ScottishAstronomers.com

Okay - I have just put my first ever complaint into the BBC. I pointed out the S@N has low viewing figures - but mentioned that if they keep screening the programme in the small hours they wont ever get more viewers. I pointed out the milestone nature of the 650th edition. I pointed out the dumbing down of many science programmes on the BBC and congratulated Sir Patrick on keeping the standard up.

I suggested the scheduler might want to consider a reducation programme - he obviously has little interest in or understanding of science.

I pointed out that as a licence fee payer I would like some quality science programmes at a decent hour of the evening.

In many ways I was "disgusted of Tunbridge Wells".

It wont make any difference, the people in charge of the BBC have no real understanding of science - no wonder our schools and Universities struggle to fill "hard science" courses. The public get fed "pap" by the BBC, little is screened that will challenge the little grey cells.

Okay - RANT OVER - but sometimes I get so pi**ed off by the BBC.

Clkear skies

Tom

I was going to set my video for 1.55am but then I saw your post mentioning the BBC4 showing which fits my routine somewhat better.

I have also just e-mailed "The Sky at Night" and congratulated them on an excellent programme. I explained that I had been a viewer for 30 years and was very unhappy about the scheduling. I said that I understood this was not the fault of Sir Patrick or Chriss Lintott. I asked that the kick the scheduler - he deserves it.

If a couple of hundred people e-mail the BBC, perhaps they will pay some attention. The problem is that we "geeky types" expect a carp service from broadcasters - but remember, we pay the BBC licence fee as well as those who live on a diet of "Eastenders". (God knows why, it is such a depressing programme).

Tom

If it was Eastenders 50th (cant see it myself) they would probably declare a public holiday - AND show it all week long! - oh... they do already.

Am quite disgusted :x

I don't blame Sir Patrick for being upset. This is damned well insulting! Unfortunately, I left England in 1957, and although PM has always been one of my astronomical heroes (I got the Boy's Book of Space for Christmas in 1957, and never looked back,) I never saw "The Sky at Night" until the magazine appeared with programs on disk. It is a very good program, and I hope it continues even after Sir PM's inevitable departure. If Chris Lintott had a personality, I suppose he could go on with the show, but Patrick Moore's shoes will take some filling. I doubt that Chris could fit a monocle, anyway.

Whilst I agree with all of the comments given on the sheduling aspect I must say I have just finished watching the program it was excellent a sheer delight to sit and watch it I will not spoil it by giving out things of its content just suffice to say it kept me glued even more than I could have expected whilst viewing it so late on yep a great programme this one top notch stuff

I guess it's not crappy soaps, hos[ital dramas or reality TV, so it's worthless to the BBC.

What blumming <insert offencive language here>

Complaint made.

Kain

Hi all,

Just read the links to the BBC site. Don't they normally have a comments section with the stories?? Only rushed so might of missed it. If sombody does find one, link it on here and I'll give them a few choice words for the BBC to review! :shock: :D:p

Did people use the http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/ page??

I used the "points of view" which was the only one I could find. Not easy to contact are they?

Agree with all your comments. I have just made my first ever complaint to the BBC. The more of us that complain the better the chance of something being done about it.

Hopefully people on the other astro. sites will also complain.

Pete

Cheers Gaz

Damage for PM has already been done really - but complaints (if read by them upstairs at the beeb at all) should let them know what a total and utter GAFF they made by not paying PM a little homage for all his sterling work by way of some sort of celebratory scheduling for this the 650th issue. Will be watching it this evening on BBC4 at 1930 - looking foward to it :D

Am dissapointed for PM. I would have thought someone at the beeb's scheduling dept might have done him the honour of showing some appreciation and respect for the old boy :x But I guess that by now he knows how things are.