SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2x Barlow Help

agthomson

With my birthday coming at the end of the month (yay) I will be being treated to a 2x Barlow. Having looked around on various websites, most people have recommended the TeleVue range for all optical needs.

The TeleVue 2x Barlow comes in at £79 without the 20% discount, so that's around £64. The other options seem to be either the Meade 5000 2x at closer to £87, the Tal at £36 or the Celestron at £89.

I'm looking for the "best" one out of the bunch for general stargazing, and possibly in an AP setup later on. Advice?

For use in a newtonian then I'd go Tele Vue. For a refractor, SCT or mak, the Celestron Ultima is useful because it goes into the diagonal which is more convenient. I've compared the Ultima to the Tele Vue and I could not see anything between them, optically.

I've compared the Ultima to the Tele Vue and I could not see anything between them, optically.

The Ultima is considerably better especially for imaging - less chromatic dispersion in UV and IR - I get the impression the Ultima gives slightly better contrast too.

The TV Barlow is poor compared with the Powermate.

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like tracking down a 2x Powermate 1.25" is a little harder than I thought. However, on my searches I did come across this. It certainly looks the part, but is it really all it's cracked up to be?

Archived