Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello

alxxx

Hi everybody

I am just getting back into astronomy so i was checking out the many forums that are available and was lead to this one from yahoo, So after having a read on the forums i got out all my old photos that i had taken on a 6' reflector and was rebitten by the astronomy bug, so in the space of a week i have gotten a telescope (celestron 6' newt ) and joined this forum. I've only had one chance to use the telescope, that was the day i got it (been cloudy ever since :) ) but i did get to see jupiter and have a look at m57, so now just got to wait for some clear skies :roll:

alxxx

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes i am happy with my scope a couple of minor grumbles but nothing to bad it did give me a good view of jupiter and in moments of good seeing there was some fine detail in the belts.

alxxx aka Alasdair everyone just calls me AL :)

Hello Al,

Nice scope you have should give you plenty of good views as you may know new gear= cloudy nights for a couple of weeks..

Hope you enjoy the forum as Andy said were a friendly bunch on here.

Regards

James

Hi AL,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you stumbled across our Yahoo Group.

Amazing how much can happen in a week. As Andy said this forum is only a week old.

The 6" Celestron will serve you well. Is that on the CG5 mount? Or is it one of Celestron's new NGT mounts?

Sorry for the questions. Welcome aboard :)

Russ

no its on the cg4 mount, (is that bad?) the main gripe that i have is the secondry spider, its very thin metal and the allen keys for the adjustment were so tight that the spider flexed loads, so any adjustment that you make to the secondry you have to allow for that movment (or am i doing somthing wrong?).

James have you heard much about this scope i searched for some reviews before i bought this scope and couldn't find any which i thought was good cos no one had anything bad to say about it :)

AL

no its on the cg4 mount, (is that bad?) the main gripe that i have is the secondry spider, its very thin metal and the allen keys for the adjustment were so tight that the spider flexed loads, so any adjustment that you make to the secondry you have to allow for that movment (or am i doing somthing wrong?).

James have you heard much about this scope i searched for some reviews before i bought this scope and couldn't find any which i thought was good cos no one had anything bad to say about it :)

AL

PS the scope is a Celestron Advanced Series C6-N

sorry for the double post, how do you edit the post i couldn't find an edit button?

Welcome Al,

I don't think there is one, I've made a few typos I've been unable to correct.

When you say Allen keys where are you adjusting the secondary? On the outside of the OTA? Or using the screws going into the secondary?

Gaz

The screws that go on to the secondry to adjust its angle, when you turn these the whole assembly twists when you adjust them, its good in one way because they don't obstruct the tube, but adjusting the secondry can be a bit of a task because of this, maybe its just me but i don't remember that being a problem on the orion scope that i once had , there was only two vanes on that and they where thicker and wouldn't twist when the secondry was adjusted.

Ah, I understand. I've never had that problem with my Newts. Have you considered removing the secondary and tightening and loosening up the allen keys to get a bit more play in them, so when you adjust theres less stess on the vanes?

Gaz

No i meen that i'm trying to get the secondry lined up through the focuser so that it is lined up correctly, when i got the scope the secondry was pointing off to one side so that i could see part of the focusing tube side, it was off center, when i looked down to focusing tube and tried to adjust the secondry as soon as i put any pressure on the screws the whole spider would twist before the screw had even moved

I see, the main screw in the centre? Can you hold the secondary as you turn the screw to take the pressure off the vane? That job usually only needs doing once in a blue moon (pun intended!) on most scopes.

James, I have the same problem as the other guys (no 'edit' button alongside my posts). However in the Deep Sky section there IS an edit button alongside your own posts. Perhaps there is something different about the settings there.

Hope this helps. :)

Archived