Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Variable polorising Moon filter ....how to ? HELP !

Been looking at the moon tonight and it's extremely bright. When I purchased my kit I also bought a moon filter that can be adjusted for brightness. It has an internal thread and an external thread. So far so good i,ve attached one end to the EP but what does the other end screw into ? I must be missing something maybe ?

yep, unscrew the diagonal from your LX90 then look into the barrel of the diagonal of the end that was attached to the scope, you will see that it is threaded, you just screw the filter onto that end re-insert, pop in an EP and have a gander

Nope it don't fit , there is a thread in the chrome section but the thread on the filter is slightly smaller. Is this what I need 1 1/4" Telescope Eyepiece / Adapter cap - Filter Thread ?http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250762372373&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1261wt_922

Is your Variable filter in two pieces? If so the two pieces screw together before fitting to the EP or Star Diagonal. One of the two pieces rotates allowing the the two pieces of polarised glass to rotate in relation to each other. This confused me at first.

The item you refer to in your last post seems to be a screw in cap for protecting the EP. Not sure though. The description of it looks to be a bit misleading

I'm having some difficulty understanding what the problem is. The variable filter has a male thread which simply screws into the female thread of the eyepiece (or diagonal). That's it. You then put the diagonal and eyepiece back into the scope and observe the Moon in comfort. The other end of the filter doesn't screw into anything. Hope this helps. Good luck.

If it is the variable polarising filter then it should be in two parts:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/prodimages/variable_polarizing_moon_filter.jpg

The idea is that you adjust the rotation of the 2 parts, in relation to themselves, which in turn adjusts the % of light that passes through the filter.

As the above link shows, these things are supplied in either 1.25" or 2" formats and, as been said, should just screw into either the end of the eyepiece barrel or the end of the barrel of a 90 degree diagonal.

The original post says "i've attached one end to the EP but what does the other end screw into ?" - the answer is nothing - you do not attach the other end of the filter to anything.

Right guys ..... I've screwed the end onto the EP yes . Is all you do then is put it into the diagonal ? . I was under the illusion you could adjust the filter whilst looking through it ? I'm guessing the answer is No ? If that's the case I've found my answer . My problem was I could not understand why There was a male and female thread at either end ?

Mine came from FLO and will in fact separate into two parts. There's a fixed filter in one and a rotating filter in the other. When you fit the two parts together and then fit the complete unit to the EP or Star Diagonal you adjust the amount of filtering by removing the EP or Star Diagonal and rotating the moving part a little at a time.

However, if you separate the two parts and fit one part of the filter to the EP and the other part to the Star Diagonal (If you are using one of course) then you can vary the degree of filtering by just slackening the screw securing the EP and turning it whilst viewing. This will only work of course if you can fit one part to your Star Diagonal. The thread on my SDiag is slightly slacker than on my EPs. It wouldn't have to be much slacker before it wouldn't fit.

Archived