Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Skywatcher 150P owner

tbird

After some deliberation and research I went over to Rother Valley Optics this morning and came away with a new Skywatcher 150P.

This is my first telescope and after assembly in the living room so far I'm pleased with the choice.

Had a laugh assembling the mount, first page of instructions were in German, turned to the German section thinking the pages were just swapped over, but no, another page in German.

Fortunately I found a PDF copy online.

Black5f - Are you a steam Loco enthusiast, or have I got the wrong end of the proverbial ?

tbird, I've got the same scope I'm confident you'll be happy with your purchase (I am). I had the same German instructions situation as you, unfortunately my high school German covered things like "where is the train station?" not how to set up an Equatorial mount!

Clear skies!

Ian

Black5f - Are you a steam Loco enthusiast, or have I got the wrong end of the proverbial ?

Got it in one. Basically into anything that works on the kettle principle and is smelly and oily! Models or full size. Luv 5's and 8fs, (FX:yawn)... I understand! Keeps me busy when the skys cloudy!

Attachment browser: d10_1.jpg by black5f - RC Groups

Tom

I'm pleased I didn't get anything bigger for now, when you're not used to handling this sort of equipment, it's a bit of a handful.

As a newbie I think this telescope is a good compromise of physical size, 'seeing power' and crucially price.

Hope your enjoying it! I bought one too over a week ago but I still haven't opened the box because I've been so busy... If there was a break in the clouds I might have been more inclined to find some spare time but looking at my workload and weather forecast I reckon it's going to be another week :)

Hi Tbird,

I picked up my 150P from Rother Valley Optics a couple of weeks ago, and had the same instructions as you.

Neverless I put it together without too much trouble and have enjoyed the views I have had - when the clouds have relented.

I'm sure from what I have heard from other members on this forum we have made a good choice.

Don't forget to post a first light report.

Enjoy and clear skies.

I've decided to call it a night, as there is some cloud building up.

I consider my first nights veiwing a success and incredibly lucky to have clear skies.

I started observing the moon before dark as I used it to set up my finder scope. The amount of detail and contrast in the shadows of the craters was great.

Even though it was only just after sunset, I couldn't resist a look at Jupiter. Took a little while to find it in the finder scope, which needed fine tuning, the moon was probably too big for accurate allignment. With the 2x Barlow and the 10mm EP provided with the scope Jupiter's four moons were clearly visible along with the cloud bands on the planet, fantastic.

Later I tried the Orion Nebula. Found a faint fuzzy area of which I did a poor sketch. Comparing the sketch to Sellarium showed I was looking at M43.

I was waiting to have a go at Saturn but was disappointed to see thin rows of cloud building up across the sky. At about 11:30 Saturn was still very low in the sky but it was the only oppurtunity to have a look because it would then disappear behind some trees. Anyway I did get a poor view of Saturn, which I was satisfied with considering it's low height and deteriating conditions.

I'm very satisfied with my new toy and looking forward to getting more out of it as I learn more.

I got mine early January, but due to a lot of life crisis` I managed to get out with it properly tonight (just a few grabbed hours here and there before), had a great time. Its a good scope - should keep me going for 12 months or so. Will be starting another thread in a mo with some images I took tonight - very pleased with the results.

Archived