Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What not to buy ?

As asking about which scope to buy is very specific to quite a few parameters i was wondering if there are any makes or models that should be avoided at all costs ? this would greatly help me as i'm looking at cheaper or used scopes so would like to know if some of the cheap ones are cheap for a very good reason

If you stick with the reputable suppliers ie "astronomical suppliers" rather than high street stores or the web (fleabay etc.) you should not go far wrong. Before you part with your hard earned cash put your choice on the forum, explaining your choice and budget, and you should soon get good advice.

PS Cheap ones are cheap for good reasons!!!

Thanks for the replies ,thing is i will probably have to get one off ebay as like i said i have a very tight budget and with 4 kids am unlikely to get any spare cash in the near future so thats the reason i was asking about ones to avoid

Hi Wozza, also in Somerset! Take a look at 'So you want to buy a telescope' on www.astro-baby.com It is a very good article which does give some guidance on what to avoid. The general advice on this forum is to buy the best binos you can afford until you can buy the telescope you really want. I am still trying to figure out what I want and meanwhile dug out my 8 x 40's and bought a planisphere. It's amazing what you can see.

Well i have seen a 6" reflector with a 9mm eyepiece and a telrad sighting scope on evilbay .I don't know what make it is as it's not in the ad or visible in the pictures but i have asked them to let me know the make and model .Is it likely to be a cheapo with the bits on it that i have listed ?

Find out what it is.

6" is a reasonable size, bigger then many/most of the cheapo scopes are. Also the person has fitted a telrad, as these are not cheap it implies that they were fairly serious themselves and so may have bought a decent scope originally.

Small point but Meade scope tend to come with 9mm eyepieces.

Used scopes come up on the UK Astro Buy and Sell :

astrobuysell.com/uk/ Stick 3w's in front.

No idea but check SCS Astro, just in case they have any used items, based in Wellington (?). May have the town wrong.

Just in case the person is selling a scope and means JUST a scope check if there is a mount as well.

Archived