Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

matty79

Bins on their way!!!

Hi all

This is my first post on here so just saying a quick hello to you all. Am a new sky watcher from Cheshire, UK. I've been reading these forums for weeks and weeks now and have eventually decided to buy a pair of Revelation 15x70 bins to start me off on the (expensive) road lol, hoping for a Skywatcher 200P in the next few months once I can find my way around the sky better.

Have i made a decent decision in these binoculars?

Matt

Hi Matty, welcome to SGL, you have started in the right fashion, bins are really usefull in helping to get a grip on what you can observe, the Revelations are pretty decent although you may need a tripod to hold them steady.

Good luck with them :)

bins are great every one as a pair a should think,and they do show alot and have a good field of view great start point and easy to use let us no how you get on with them,when ya get tham

Hi Matt and welcome to SGL :)

Nothing wrong with the 15x70's - I have the Celestron equivalent and I can see no difference when using the Revs. You'll need a tripod though cos they're a spot weighty to hold for a long time. A s/h cheap camera tripod will be more than adequate. I also found a fine tuning head very useful ;)

Edited by brantuk

Thanks all, if there is one thing i've learned from this forum is that theres always a wealth of advice at hand. Do FLO ship on saturdays? if not am sure they will be delivered before midweek anyway.

hi matty and welcome to sgl, the bins are really useful, and great for grab an go when you dont have a lot of time

Hi Matty, welcome to SGL.

You will enjoy those bins, have a look at the star clusters, they really open them up. My favorite is the Beehive cluster in Cancer.

Hi Matt and welcome. Binoculars and learning you way around the sky i a great place to start. I have a pair of 15x70,s and love them.

That was my thinking, I feel its worthwhile just to see how much i enjoy standing in the cold night after night before splashing out hundreds of squids lol. I've been making do with an old pair of cheapo 10x50's and think i have seen a faint fuzz just under Orions Belt, would that have been possible or could it be due to one of the many scratches on the bins' lenses?

Matty your 10x50's almost certainly have given you a view of M42 in Orion as a faint fuzzy patch. Your new bins will show a bit more though.

Ahhh thats cool, even from a modest pair you can see so much more. Its awe inspiring isn't it seeing whats up there and realising how insignificant we really are.

Hi Matt and welcometo SGL :) Im amazed at what I can see in my 10x50's so the views should be quite special with the 15x70's. Enjoy

Am really looking forward to them coming, I know they arent a match compared to some of the equipment on here but will be better than anything i'm used to. I've got an old Tasco tripod given to me so will bodge a mount out of that.

Hi Matty and welcome to SGL. I'm amazed what I can see through my 8x25 bins. Can see so much in the Pleiades star cluster.

Hi Matt and welcome to SGL. Have you thought about joining your local Astronomical Society? You get to have a peek through other peoples' kit before you buy and it's a great way of tapping into the local knowledge!