SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The end of the world in 2012? Science communication and science scares

WhiteShiva

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December 21? Man, is that gonna ruin Christmas.:)

I think in January 2012 I will order a 7" Astro Physics Starfire, ME mount, and a full set of Ethos EPs. And put it on the credit card. I figure if I just pay the minimum I will definitely get my money's worth before the world ends.;)

Penn & Teller have a debunking show called Bull$hit and on one episode they cover these 2012 people. We get to watch two of these people bumble about Mayan ruins trying to do "research"; I tell you, it is one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen. You can watch these programs on-line for free.

Just watched this webcast .. thanks for the link, good science and and interesting lecture.

Yeah I thought it was a good lecture. I liked the bit about the Christmas presents at the end. During the lecture, I was wondering actually how many people would put off buying Christmas presents until the day after the 21st of December LOL.

Really interesting that. would like to of seen the screen diagrams when she was explaining things, but good, easy to understand science.

I for one shall be buying my xmas pressies for sure :)

Really interesting that. would like to of seen the screen diagrams when she was explaining things, but good, easy to understand science.

I for one shall be buying my xmas pressies for sure :)

If you don't put the presentation in full screen, you can see the slides on the left hand side. I first watched it without the slides too lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the link. What a fantastic lecture - very informative. I thought some of the issues raised in the last section were really interesting. I know several people who dismiss good quality scientific argument purely on the basis of popular opinion or because they have read something on the internet.

But as highlighted in the lecture, it's very hard for science institutions to combat issues like these as conspiracy theorists always seem to have a clever answer.

I suppose that, because we are amateur and not part of a formal institution that could be accused of "covering-up the truth", we also have a role to play in trying to dispell some of these rediculous end-of-the-world rumours that are being bantered about at the moment.

There's an old proverb, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

If someone wants to believe in end-of-the-world theories, or flat-earth theories, or any other anti-science, then it doesn't matter how many logical arguments you produce to prove them wrong. They've already chosen what they want to believe. I'd just let them get on with it.

Mary

Haven't got time to watch this untill later but I will. For now though I have one quick question. Are the planets actually aligning? Or is this part nonsense too?

If I remember well, she mentions the alignment of 2 or 3 planets, which happens quite often. But definitly no full planetary alignment is going to happen.

Allie

With the super' moon' annoucement, and the catastrophic earthquake and tsunami that happened today in Japan, there are a lot of fauls information and silly speculation over 2012 going on today. I've had to explain that there will be no planetary alignment, the moon isn't getting bigger and has not caused the earthquake and the earth's poles will not suddenly swap tomorrow, and the best, that earth will not stop turning for 3 days and then spin the other way. It's hopeless...LOL

Just how many of these "end of the world" stories has there actually been over the last 20 years !

I remember when "Prince" (or the artist formally known as ) got out of his recording contract and gave away a significant amount of money when the world was to end on the millennium :)

Imagine how embarrassed he must have been the next morning :D

These dates come and go and the ignorant amongst us just move on to the next "date",

I just laugh at these people,Ive given up trying to educate anyone anymore as hardly any one is listening :(

JJ..:)

There's a really good part in the presentation when she says that every expects the end of the world at at a certain date, like the millenium, and after it's not happened, they believe in it even more. Hilarious.

She also mentions this site: www.manyendings.com, worth looking at for laugh. There's an apocalypse for every year! :(

The Jehovah Witnesses predicted the end of the world on several dates, including 1914, 1932 and 1941.The dates past and went without the end of the world.

Coupled with a good grasp of both early Christian theologian knowledge and present day scientific truth they don't stay on my doorstep long..!

Hi Whiteshiva

Well I watched Professor Jocelyn Bell Burnell , what a great lady she made the hole thing interesting and funny in parts I would love to see more of her lectures

Thanks for that

Doug

Essex

Archived