Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

meteoriot

Any good astronomy PC programs?

Hi, my title says it all really but I'm after something to view the solar system. A 3D model perhaps with high res images of planets and moons to explore the surfaces or just see the entire system in a working simulation. Can anyone tell me if such a thing exists please and if so what would you recommend? Thank you

Richard

take a look at Stellarium and World Wide Telescope. Both excellent.

Though I prefer the format of Stellarium.

Oh BTW they are both free

My vote would go to Stellarium - it's a tidy program, easy to use, attractive graphics and the night vision mode is partiularly good.

There is another freebie called "Celestia" (I think! Sorry havn't used it for a while!). This allows you to "wonder round the universe". It may be what you are looking for?

Just Googled it: http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

Edited by Bizibilder

Stellarium is well worth a download. I'm a total novice but was able to identify objects I'd observed in minutes. Very simple to use and has some really nice features. Also has the added bonus of being a free, quick and easy download and install

Another vote for Stellarium, really good.

For Solar System though, the other links given by Fija and Bizbuilder look interesting

Also try Cartes du Ciel - bit more "technical" than stellarium but excellent software and free :)

The Sky 6 is my favourite and drives the scope in the observatory. But I have to say that given Stellarium is free it is quite excellent.

Edited by JAO

Stellarium a good start (free) and does all seeable satalites and is good for ISS. Stary night backyard costs but does very good inner and outer SS simulations.

Thanks all for all your help. Looks like stellarium is the clear winner. Downloading it now but I will probably try some of the others too.

For 3D and driving round the solar system/universe (and a number of Sci fi universes) Celestia is a lot of fun, and free.

Use the arrow keys or if you know what you want to look at there is a menu on the right that will let you type in where you want to look

Stellarium is awesome you need to set in your coadinates

on the Location window or press F6 get your coadinates from google

it show stars you can see with naked eye in your area

Another program mite be usefull seems easy to use

StarCalc is the fastest professional astronomy planetarium & star mapping program link below

StarCalc Home Page [English]

here link to few other pc software free best try different ones that easyer to use

http://freeware.intrastar.net/astronomyone.htm

Edited by Stargazing_Cliff

I've tried stellarium, celestial, worldwide telescope, NASA world wind so far all seem great and I will try more but surprisingly not mentioned here is google earth, it's free and not only does it do highly detailed 3d satellite views of the earth but it also does the same with the moon, mars and the stars. Very impressive!

I too like Stellarium. It has a few issues with DSOs: some major ones are missing, DSO sizes and types are not represented graphically, one can't filter DSOs by type or catalogue. With luck, some of these issues should be fixed over the next year or so.