Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power tank alternative

Egor Blimey

Just thought I'd post this to make everyone aware that Aldi are currently selling a power supply for £33 give or take a few pence. It is 17 Ah rated with 2 x 12V outputs, a 230V AC output and a 5V USB port.

In addition it has a compressor and a pair of jump start leads, torch etc. A bit heavy, I estimate about 151bs or so, but compact enough.

Worth buying at about £60 cheaper than the power tank?

Barry.

Having just got a Maplins 5 in 1 (B grade-returned but as new) for 25 earth quids, I thought it typical that the Aldi ones would show up a week later. After umming and arring, I threw one into the trolley anyway, can't hurt to have a spare and I may even find that I need one to jump start a c*r at some point.

Just bought a car jump starter (17 amp hour) from Poundstretcher in Cardiff for £19.99!

It's exactly the same model as the one I bought from Maplins over a year ago but quite a bit cheaper.

The new one is going to power my lap top to increase the amount of autoguding time I have.

Just thought I'd post this to make everyone aware that Aldi are currently selling a power supply for £33 give or take a few pence. It is 17 Ah rated with 2 x 12V outputs, a 230V AC output and a 5V USB port.

In addition it has a compressor and a pair of jump start leads, torch etc. A bit heavy, I estimate about 151bs or so, but compact enough.

Worth buying at about £60 cheaper than the power tank?

Barry.

Heavy is good. While this thing doesn't have the miracles of miniaturisation that the Maplin one has (amazingly, they've discovered the secret of making 17Ah batteries so much lighter than every other manufacturer :glasses1:) it sounds like a solid piece of kit. Especially if you need all the extra features.

If you fancy rolling your own. You can buy an honest 7aH SLA battery for about £15. Asda are selling 12V - 230V inverters (75Watt rated) for a fiver and you can pick up 12V lighter sockets for a few quid - plus a bit of woodworking on a cloudy night.

Hi i bought this unit last week from aldi, have charged it up just need to buy a power cable to power up my nexstar slt go2 mount, does anyone know of a cheap cable?

I'd say look for a 'safe' cheap cable. I think the celestron ones come with a built in fuse and cheap ones may not. I got mine from FLO rather than Ebay to be sure.

Got one today thanks for the heads up! just what i required...

not so impressive as the price was the insides of it, very (very) small compressor, battery housing cracked bottom left corner, neutral terminal connection loose to battery main feed, main function panel was ok bar the 12 v sockets seemed very cheap and not independently fused at all so it would seem 15 Amp is your entire protection stage! (not in mine that will be changed instantly with some inline fuse holders) the whole unit could have been half the size as the battery is a little small (tiny in fact).. you cant complain when you only spend £35.00 i suppose.

i can see me dismantaling the whole thing and mouniting it in a smaller case, then when the battery gives up i shall just buy one of these instead-

http://tinyurl.com/6dkprav

Got one today thanks for the heads up! just what i required...

not so impressive as the price was the insides of it, very (very) small compressor, battery housing cracked bottom left corner, neutral terminal connection loose to battery main feed, main function panel was ok bar the 12 v sockets seemed very cheap and not independently fused at all so it would seem 15 Amp is your entire protection stage! (not in mine that will be changed instantly with some inline fuse holders) the whole unit could have been half the size as the battery is a little small (tiny in fact).. you cant complain when you only spend £35.00 i suppose.

i can see me dismantaling the whole thing and mouniting it in a smaller case, then when the battery gives up i shall just buy one of these instead-

12V 20Ah sealed lead-acid battery on eBay (end time 22-Mar-11 23:47:55 GMT)

for that money it would be worth buying 2 and mounting it in parallel.

• 3 months later...

If anyone is interested - Purely by chance I found one of the Aldi Powerpack jump starters at the Wakefield road branch in Huddersfield at £24.99. They seemed to have a good stock.

I currently don't have an astronomical need for it but I was thinking ahead!! - In the meantime it will do service as a tyre pump and a jump starter if needs be!

At £24.99 it seemed a solid and useful piece of kit - and guaranteed for 3 years!!

Robin

Archived