Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun 10 Feb in H-alpha

sheri_barri

Having just received the Lunt60 back from the manufacturer for an OTA replacement, I have been very keen on testing the unit after being shipped transatlantic.

Luckily the sun did not disappoint. I am particularly pleased with catching AR1153 just as it was rounding the limb (off the right of the disk). The close-ups were taken with a new Powermate 2.5x. The seeing was a bit too mushy for 15fps but the potential is good. It seems the 'Newton's rings' banding is even worse with this than with a Cemax 2x barlow. Curious.

Thank you for looking.

Sheri

post-15561-133877530417_thumb.jpg

post-15561-133877530426_thumb.jpg

post-15561-133877530435_thumb.jpg

Any details of the symptoms that required a warranty fix? Have just got a lunt60 I hope for a long and prosperous life for it. Great full disk image, going for my first(imaging)light tomorrow if the weather allows..... Fingers crossed.

Wonder what the subtle dark patch is in the top right of the disk image?!

Cheers

PEterW

Hi Peter,

The fault appears to be too finely machined threads on the front blocking filter. When removing the double stack, the ERF would unscrew up to 1/8 turn so I simply returned it solid. After several uses, the filter housing spun free on the threads, effectively stripped. I have heard of others who encountered this although the model has been updated since. It was a warranty repair and once finally getting a response from Lunt, it was less than a month before the scope was back with a new OTA. So far so good!:)

The dark patch is odd. I have several series of avi and rotate the camera 45 degrees and the patch remains in the location on the sun. It is too regular to not be something earth-side. Hmmmmm:icon_scratch:

Nice work Sheri, and glad you got the scope back.

I've just had to return a scope to Optcorp for replacement, and was wondering if you had any problems with customs wanting import duty and tax again when it was returned to you?

Cheers

Rob

What is this strange object you speak off

the sun

Mmmmm I seem to remember something vaguely about it

Nice images and glad you got things sorted out

My Newton rings are worse with the powermates as well

My mate has a cheap barlow that works much better, but he won't let me have it

must get one for later in the year

Steve

Thank you for the kind comments. The sun is even more active now with local forecasts of rain rain rain.

Michael, I have has several items shipped from OPT over the years. It is worth checking the current exchange rates as you won't pay California tax but do pay VAT 17.5% and duty of 4.2% on incoming telescopes. HM Revenue & Customs

Shipping is fine, insured. When I sent the Lunt back insured it was £122 via Parcel Force although incoming can vary.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Sheri

Archived