Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

On ebay right now

Doug

Hi everyone

At the moment on ebay there is a meade 9mm eyepiece for sale new

you can buy this anywhere for the same money £63.99 and the postage is £3.99 got from a shop postage would have been free

at this minute it's £63.00 I just can't beleave that know one checks the price first before bidding what do you think ?

Doug

Essex

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

or a "friend" of the seller has been asked to put a high bid on it. This happens all the time, especially with computer systems. You must of noticed just how close every system price always ends up close to the buy it now price.

There are very few bargains to be had on ebay anymore, it seems to be dominated by flyby night traders pretending to be individuals.

What I find vaguely amusing is when someone puts a reasonable "buy it now" price on something, then a bid is made, so the BiN disappears and the item ends up going for much more than the BiN price !.

Yeah "eBay fever" takes over. It's something I always look out fir now. If I want something I will check eBay then I will always google it too and check prices elsewhere. 9 out of 10 times you can find it cheaper.

I always check the RRP when I am interested in an item on ebay. I generally find that the ebay items are over priced. For instance, there is a New Neq6 mount on ebay at the moment that is at a buy it now price that is £10 pound more expensive than the same mount on FLO.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SKY-WATCHER-NEQ6-PRO-SYNSCAN-GOTO-HEAVY-DUTY-MOUNT-/270666607777?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_TripodsSupports&hash=item3f04fcaca1

The 5000 series is a serious piece of kit and it's nice to know they fetch nearly the same price as new .The 9 mm is. Popular size so I'm not surprised it's selling at that price .

Still comes down to what you know about your specific subject and checking prices before bidding. Bought a set of motorcycle clocks for a restoration job a few years ago for £27. Cost £749 new from a dealer. Now that was a bargain.

Was looking at scopes on ebay and people were asking £30 over list price for a KonusMotor 500 the other day.

Is it a decent scope ?

It's OK but way overpriced. The Skywatcher equivalent is under £200 new and would go for £120 or so used.

The pic on the e.bay ad is not the scope that's for sale - it's a stock pic of the 127mm Bresser refractor I think :)

Maybe it is a good thing I haven't yet succumbed to eBay for purchasing astro accessories, I do have an account but I tend to buy various other odds and ends that a can't find elsewhere. It's no wonder sellers love eBay with the way that people MUST "win" an item at all cost.

Caveat Emptor

I have picked up some excellent astro gear at very good prices on eBay, but you really have to know what you're doing.

eBay is a real minefield, so just post on SGL about it and you'll soon get plenty of replies telling you if it's one of the rare good buys or more lkely a piece of rubbish.

John

Archived