Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eqmod and aligning

Hi All

Ok so eqdir recieved and plugged up and working.

Asked TheSky slew to Capella and expected nothing in the image, searched arround with the spiral button (which doesnt seem to do a spiral to me?) and still didnt find the star.

I went out to look thru the finder and Capella wasnt even in that so it was a good 10degs away.

Is there something Im missing to be able to do the alignment from inside or will my polar alignment be out by too much? or am I expecting to much from a non permanent mount.?

do I need a wideangle finder with webcam to search a larger patch of sky?

Cheers for your time

Myk, start with the weights down and the scopes pointing towards polaris. I don't know the sky, so this might not be that accurate.. using the hand set, slew to a star, select it in the app, and click sync... this will add that star position to the list of stars for the goto. I used this the other night, and a single star synced dropped my target bang into the middle of the FOV at 1370mm...

Mky

I always get the mount polar aligned using the polar scope and then do a three or four star align using EQMOD. The stars get closer with each star you align on and I normally have to start the first one of using the finder scope.

There's a video of EQMOD alignment here;

There's load of videos from chrishillito on Youtube as well - these are great for learning the intricacies of EQMOD.

Hope these help

Steve

Hi guys thanks for the replies

Im using the eqdir mod so the handset isnt even attached. The idea I had for doing this was if I get 'permission' then the scope with be permanently in a shed and I was hoping Id be able to do the 3 star align remotely from indoors without having to sqeeze in to the shed with the gear(it cant be a big shed) but have no way to see a big enough sky area incase the initial alignment stars are too missaligned and not in FOV.

If I go out and look then yes I can do it but I want a way to set it up without being at the scope.

My wife just laughs at me and says thats not astronomy:icon_confused:

If I set up with the scope in the park position (weights down, scope pointing North) with a good polar alignment using EQMOD, I will find the first star somewhere on the chip of my DSLR when using my 80ED refractor 9 times out of 10. I usually start with Dubhe as my first alignment star. Subsequent alignment stars are quite close to the centre.

To use the EQMOD spiral function, you have to hold the mouse button down on it whilst it spirals (not simply click it and away it goes).

One thing tho - If you are in an obs permanently mounted - you will only have to do it once!(unless you move something).

I usualy tell it to goto the 1st star and if it is a long way out unlock the clutches and manully move the mount, get the star in the finder then start the camera and tweek the scope till the star is near enough center, lock the clutches, then sync - that way your program will think it got it right 1st time and will be more accurate for the next star(s)

Dmahon- Sounds like my polar alignment maybe wasnt good enough then, next clear night I'll spend more time getting that spot on.

Martin_h- Thats what I thought once its in an obs. and good thought about unclutching and move it to in view.

Cheers for the ideas.

One thing tho - If you are in an obs permanently mounted - you will only have to do it once!(unless you move something).

I usualy tell it to goto the 1st star and if it is a long way out unlock the clutches and manully move the mount, get the star in the finder then start the camera and tweek the scope till the star is near enough center, lock the clutches, then sync - that way your program will think it got it right 1st time and will be more accurate for the next star(s)

Great idea Martin regarding unlocking-then centering-then syncing.:)

Archived