sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

It's Arrived! Well Almost

Hi all,

Well the kit sort of arrived today.

But seems to be missing the Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA spotter scope:

DSC_4765.jpg

DSC_4764.jpg

I have fiddled around working out how to do the alignment but obviously only a trial run without clear skies!

Bit disappointed in the mount for the handset which does not hold onto the tray on the tripod. Seems to be very loose unless I am doing something wrong.

Was not obvious that there was another smaller mount. So I kept looking at the mount and wondered how I was going to get the provided spotter scope on it, then found the smaller mount!

Not sure at this stage how everything connects together, so may be calling on others for help once I start to get a bit more familiar with it all. The Meade DSI PRO II and GPUSB are not in the photo but will be coming together when the spotter scope arrives.

Am also suprised that it does not come with a power supply. But I have many different ones in the office so will have a look tomorrow.

So best regards for now!

Chris

Bit disappointed in the mount for the handset which does not hold onto the tray on the tripod. Seems to be very loose unless I am doing something wrong.

Chris,

My holder does the same, it's as if the holder has been made to fit a thicker casting for the accessory tray - I fixed mine by inserting a small U shaped filler cut from corrugated cardboard from one of the small inner boxes, and placed this between the bottom of the tray and the holder - this meant the clip couldn't fall out when slotted home... hope that makes sense ??

Thanks guys,

Hi Mark, yes think they popped out as soon as the packaging was undone!!

Hi Malcolm,

Pleased it is just not mine and I agree it is like it needs to be a thicker plate. I can see what you are saying and am sure it will work. However I spotted something under the holder that looks like you insert a spacer or thin piece of material that will expand the bracket and means it locks. Not sure but will have a go later.

Best regards

Chris

Edited by G2EWS

Looks good Chris. I'd suggest searching for astro_baby's heq5 setup guide ( I can't do links on this device I'm afraid). That way you an at least get it all ready before the clouds clear... In august...:):(

Hi Malcolm,

Pleased it is just not mine and I agree it is like it needs to be a thicker plate. I can see what you are saying and am sure it will work. However I spotted something under the holder that looks like you insert a spacer or thin piece of material that will expand the bracket and means it locks. Not sure but will have a go later.

Best regards

Chris

Yeah, I wondered why there is that slotted item behind the holder, but it seems stiff to flex the bracket up enough to engage the clip.. I guess the alternative is a hot glue gun :(

Am also suprised that it does not come with a power supply. But I have many different ones in the office so will have a look tomorrow.

Tread carefully here, Chris - the PSU must be capable of supplying an absolute minimum of 2 amps at 12 volts.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments.

Tread carefully here, Chris - the PSU must be capable of supplying an absolute minimum of 2 amps at 12 volts.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. I had read it in the manual, but will be over cautious when going through my supplies. This is another reason why I don't understand the reasoning behind not supplying a power supply!

Best regards

Chris

Hi All,

Spoke to Simon at the Widescreen Centre and emailed him my original list which he wrote on. The spotter scope is on it's way to them for Monday and hopefully me for Tuesday!

All I need now is to work out how to set this up properly! Peter S.A,M. is coming over on Sunday to show me how!

Regards

Chris

I'm very new to this also, so dont know If I've got this right from the photos you've posted but have you gone for an 80ED and an EQ6 Pro mount?

This is a similar set up to what I am looking at getting.

How portable do you think this setup that you have is?

I'm very new to this also, so dont know If I've got this right from the photos you've posted but have you gone for an 80ED and an EQ6 Pro mount?

This is a similar set up to what I am looking at getting.

How portable do you think this setup that you have is?

Hi Gemma,

Yes it is an 80ED and EQ6 with GOTO.

I have only set it up in my house, but the intention is for it to be taken when we go away in the RV.

I think it is very portable but it depends on what you determine heavy. The EQ6 does weigh a bit but it does not bother me! I will be looking at having the least break down and build up technique as possible. However the mount comes off the tripod and of course the scope comes off the mount easily enough.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks Chris. I think for me, like yourself the weight probably isnt an issue, but the size of the mount is probably more of an issue that will make the decision on the mount for me, and budget of course!

Hope you enjoy your setup.

Hi Gemma,

What is your limiting factor with size?

I don't think the mount is that much of an issue. I reckon it would fit in my classic Mini convertible with ease. Let alone my Land Rover or RV!!

Regards

Chris

Well I'd probably be looking at getting it in a Fiesta and the other thing was just storage while its not in use. But I suppose that there probably isn't much difference in size between them all (for what is suitable for imaging).

I'm going to get to a shop and actually look at everything before I dive in and purchase anything.

Thanks again

Hi Gemma,

I don't think you will have any problem getting it in a Fiesta as long as you did not want to take loads of other gear!

Are you near any other members? Have you checked on the map? Might be worth trying to meet up as I have done with some superbly friendly folk. Had more advice than I can take on board so far. In fact S.A.M. is coming over tomorrow to help with the set up!

Regards

Chris