Narrowband

Sark. Astronomers Paradise?

barkis

I did look at this briefly after a day trip there from jersey. It's certainly possible but the main challenges are the limitation on luggage on the ferry (you can ship separately) and the possible roughness of the trip, the fast cat from jersey was the "chunder express" on my trip. Though guernsey is a shorter route. So you will need well protected kit.

That said once there I can imagine the sky's are excellent as it is so sparsely populated.

Let me know if your really serious.

If there was a serious plan for a starparty, the best approach would be to all meet up in Jersey or Guernsey, and arrange for a boat to be chartered to take everyone over.

Just brainstorming at the momnent, but I reckon the locals would be up for it too, they seemed very proud of their dark sky status.

It might be tricky for imagers, as it looks like the local power situation isn't that great, and battery packs need recharging after a night, but I'm sure these obstacles could be overcome.

Rob.

They seem to be taking the Idea seriously, despite the logistical difficulties. Perhaps Chopper ferries could be a way to transport people and kit. I shudder to think at what cost though.

The only guy on the Island with what was called a large telescope, had what looked like a 6" f8 OTA standing in a corner of his house.

He would be ecstatic at the arrival of 16"/ 20" Dobs.:(

Electricity is expensive apparently, therefore lights are only used sparingly.

The keen ones want the title of Britains darkest skies.

Ron.

I have spent several fabulous long weekends on Sark and can confirm that it would be a great place for astronomy but sadly, I wasn't into the hobby at the time I used to go there! I think the programme overplayed the electricity issues a little - added to a good story though. As for the tractor and trailer for transport from the harbour - absolutely true. :(

If there was a serious plan for a starparty, the best approach would be to all meet up in Jersey or Guernsey, and arrange for a boat to be chartered to take everyone over.

Just brainstorming at the momnent, but I reckon the locals would be up for it too, they seemed very proud of their dark sky status.

It might be tricky for imagers, as it looks like the local power situation isn't that great, and battery packs need recharging after a night, but I'm sure these obstacles could be overcome.

Rob.

Or meet in Weymouth or Poole with a bulk booking on the ferry to Jersey (would be easier to take kit on the boat, no flight restrictions) then change boats for Sark.

Hmmmm, I have just shipped a load of stuff there, it was a logistical nightmare and cost an arm and a leg.

However I do now have a contact on the island, and could probably get my boss to fly a couple of us to Guernsey for the cost of the fuel/fees.

I have been twice to the channel islands, but both times it was pretty breezy. I would think there are places more suitable, just as dark, and easier to access than Sark, but I have to admit it holds a certain attraction :(

I saw this too on the One show. Looks very interesting and an ideal place for a starparty, Id love to go there.

The only guy on the Island with what was called a large telescope, had what looked like a 6" f8 OTA standing in a corner of his house.
I burst out laughing when he said that and the image cut to is OTA. The missus just looked over at my 250p DS and said what they hell would they call that then?

I saw this too on the One show. Looks very interesting and an ideal place for a starparty, Id love to go there.

I burst out laughing when he said that and the image cut to is OTA. The missus just looked over at my 250p DS and said what they hell would they call that then?

Bad form - laughing at the size of another chaps equipment! :(

Archived