Narrowband

Skywatcher 200P vs 200PDS

Hi guys

I am looking about for a new tube to complement the new mount and like a lot have centered my gaze on the SW 200P / and the PDS

As I would like to use it for DSO astrophotography is it worth paying the extra for the PDS or does the 200P do a good job of prime focus anyway(ie. without a barlow).

any opinions welcome.

Cheers

Steve

Steve, I might be wrong, but I think the optics are the same. The DS (dual speed) refers to the type of focuser used (crayford type) which gives a coarse and fine adjustments

The new Sky-Watcher EXPLORER-200PDS Newtonian Reflector incorporates the same superb mirror-set as the Explorer-200P Black Diamond Series, but with two significant advantages. A Dual-Speed 10:1 ratio focuser is now included for excellent focusing precision. Also the tube length has been slightly shortened to optimise performance for prime-focus photography.

Hi steve I was talking to FLO's yesterday about the 200p for astrophotography and thay recomend the 200pds and a Heq5 or a eq6 hope this helps allthe best.

PS give FLO a call and have a chat.

My guess is that as the tube is slightly shorter, the secondary has to be a little larger to intercept the "cone" of reflected light correctly as it's nearer to the main mirror. Otherwise you would get just the centre portion of the image if the same sized secondary was used - hope that makes sense ?

Thanks for the replies so far peeps.

I believe secondary mirror in the PDS is larger too, 58mm vs the 52mm in the 200p. I just wonder how much difference it makes.

For visual that larger secondary will impact contrast a bit I guess.

If you are thinking of autoguiding I believe that the CG5 GT would struggle with the 200 and a guide scope, the 150p might be a better bet and at a FL of 750 the exposure times would be shorterr too. (might be wrong about this as am a newbie at autoguiging myself!)

Archived