SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Peak Star Party Lives Again! 21 - 24 October

jamespels

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also as we were told the Peak district is surrounded by the largest population of any national park within stones throw of the major conurbations of the UK.

There cant be any shortage of people interested I would have thought, especially after the success of PSP2011 :)

/ climbs down off soapbox... :D

That said, we at PDDS have a few great ideas for smaller events - we are consdering plans for a dedicated imaging day and a meteor watch night in the Spring. Ideally, we will end up with something about quarterly with a big star party every autumn - very early days for everything other than PSP2012 though.

J.

I would just like to reiterate the comments that people have posted already.

PSP was:

1. Well organised
  2. Friendly
  3. Enjoyable
  4. Well attended
  5. Informative
  6. Full of helpful people

I too thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful views through Shane's scope.

Well done James et al. I would certainly like to attend in 2012.

Ian

Thought you might like to see the M33 I took on the Friday night.

Due to gremlins and cloud I'm afraid I only managed about 30 mins of usable subs, as you can see from the noise !

All subs were unguided for 150 secs at ISO800 using a Canon 1000D, ED80 pro + FR. A few darks and no flats.

spikey-albums-dso-s-picture14233-m33-psp2011.jpg

Really nice image, well done :D I'm so chuffed that people managed to image anything given the quality of the sky over the weekend.

I'm trying to pull together images taken over the weekend to use as examples of what is possible from the Peak District, so if you (or anyone else) could email me a hi-res version with any attribution statements that would be brilliant! I'd also appreciate images from anyone else, no matter the content (astronomical...obviously).

Cheers,

Hi John, yes of course I would be happy to do that - what size image would you like ?

I guess it's a good example of what you can get for 30 mins on a faint object but I think 5 hours + to do it justice.

As I'm pretty local I think the Peak district area will be my dark site from now on.

Really enjoyed your presentation, thanks.

Hello!

The larger the better, that way we can reduce it as necessary. Have you seen Paul Cannon's image of M31 that he took?

Glad you enjoyed the talk, it was aimed to be an bit of an introduction to the National Park as well as a broad discussion of what the Peak District Dark Skies group is trying to achieve.

All the best,

Hey everyone, someone on here told me to get a sky atlas but i dont remember who as iv been reading and posting none stop lol, is there any you particularly recommend? i might find things a little easier then, i do have a planisphere but to me its too small lol

This was my first Star Party and I really enjoyed it Arrived late Fri just in time for the welcome speech Missed the viewing that night as I was asleep in the motor.

Wandered around Saturday looking at the various scopes on show A big thanks to Shane helping me put up the tent and later showed me how to colminate the dob.

Also thanks to Nigel for setting the Telrad and finding the Andromeda Galaxy for me.

Thanks to James and the team for all their effort and hard work. They did a fantastic job. A superb weekend.

Will be coming next year for sure. Held a piece of Mars Incredible!!

Hi KerryAnn23 I see you got your scope. Congrats Clear Skies

Pat

I don't suppose anyone can remember the price that the big 6" f12 achromat telescope that peak 2 valley telescopes brought with them to PSP2011?

I remember that the tube rings and dovetail bar were £40 each but can't remember how much the OTA was :D

The 6" f/8 APO was £6750 if I remember correctly wow what a bit of kit with it featherlight focuser! :)

Hi Mark. Can't remember exactly but £ 1300 seems to ring a bell.

Are you tempted? :-)

Stu

Thanks Stu, that is the figure I had in my head, Obviously that was OTA only and the focuser, tube rings and dovetail etc were extras on top of that.

I wish I had the space for it otherwise I would be tempted!

It was mentioned in another thread on the forum and could not remember the figure listed so thanks for putting my mind at rest :)

I should have taken a photo of it and its price tag :D

It was definatly £1000 and odd,maybe zooming in on my pic we mite make it out,il try once im home x

Thanks Kerry Ann,

I did have a look at the two photos you posted to the forum but one you were standing in front of it and the other the price tag was side on :)

I am sure it was under £1300 for the OTA, plus a mount of course.

Thanks Shane. :D

That is quite a bargain for what you are getting.

Now just need to win the lottery!

it was £1895 complete with moonlite and rings, just add a mount ( a big one)

I have to be honest i was very tempted to blast the savings account on it, but the mount was a major problem and my current location, i told the chap from peak2valley that if my circumstances change we will be having a chat about it:cool:

Mark,if you had it how would you mount it?

post-21509-133877684977_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jules :D

Yes it was very tempting, but my Giro III would be woefully inadequate. You would be looking at an NEQ6 or a Sphinx SXD which I think it is mounted on in this photo.

Big bucks :o

What was the strehl rating? cant see it in the low res version of this photo :)

Archived