Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Peak Star Party Lives Again! 21 - 24 October

jamespels

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I've only just come across this and am really interested but there doesn't appear to have been any posts for a while. I've looked at the webby and it looks really good....any news on numbers?? are there pitches still available?? is it still going ahead??

I've only just come across this and am really interested but there doesn't appear to have been any posts for a while. I've looked at the webby and it looks really good....any news on numbers?? are there pitches still available?? is it still going ahead??

I'm hoping so Jiggy coz I've shelled out my hard earned for a pitch!

Come on folks - support this event if you can - It looks like James has put a lot of hard work into it. Let's make sure it goes ahead!

I'm hoping so Jiggy coz I've shelled out my hard earned for a pitch!

!

Lol Bellyeye....I'm gonna be spending a lot more!!! as I intend to go but will need to fork out for the full beginners kit and equipment for camping!! :hello2:

Lol Bellyeye....I'm gonna be spending a lot more!!! as I intend to go but will need to fork out for the full beginners kit and equipment for camping!! :hello2:

Ouch!

Don't forget an inflatable matress. Just lying on a sleeping mat in October doesn't bear thinking about

I thought that this could be a cheap break... then there's the £40 for the tent, £40 for the 5 season sleeping bag, £20 for the self inflating matrices, £10 for a light (which packed up a few days later !), small table.... tourch.... the list goes on !!!

To get the most out of this investment I've had to give it a trial run so I'm booked to go to the SGL6 at the end of the month :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Hi. Does a pitch have to be purchased. I dont live too far off and was thinkin I could bring a scope, do an "All nighter ", and then depart sometime the next day.

Obviously would class myself as a 2nd class citizen compared with anyone set up for camping purposes for the whole weekend .

Thx John

Several local tourist attractions have so far offered participants discounts - Pooles Cavern Welcome to the Poole's Cavern Website - Poole's Cavern, Speedwell Cavern The Devil's Bottom - Peak Cavern : Set in the middle of the picturesque village of Castleton in Derbyshire, Peak Caver http://www.peakcavern.co.uk/and Blue John World Famous Blue John Cavern, days out & mine tour, Blue John Jewellery & Gifts so there will be things for families to do during the days!!

Thanks Kharga, I really want to go to this but am hesitant to book because of the lack of an update, I'm sure James is really busy and he has put a hell of a lot of work into this. As soon as its confirmed its still on I will be booking.....anyone know how to put a tent up!?!?

Must admit I'm a little concerned about the lack of updates, or communications, especially as I've booked and paid in full. I'm not making any assertions or accusations, and I'm sure I'll get a refund if this doesn't go ahead, but it is strange that it's gone quiet recently, not even a reply to e-mails. Just hope that James is OK ?

Hi all,

apologies for the lack up recent updates. For those that do not know, I am the Project Manager for the 2011 Census helpline and I am sure you can imagine it has been a little busy getting everything ready and making sure everything runs smoothly in the last few weeks!

Anyway, we currently have 13 confirmed bookings and I am putting together a presenttion to take around local (localish - around the Peak District) astro socs. I am starting with Macc Astro Soc on April 5 if anybody wants to come along. We also have flyers and posters designed so please let me know if you can take a few to your local meeting.

Work should be quietening down a lot in the next week or so so I will be able to be a lot more active on SGL again.

Thanks for your patience, and apologies again for the lack of updates - I'll try to get something on here every week at least until the end of May, even if it's just a quick hello. In the meantime, do please keep the bookings coming.

J.

Hi. Does a pitch have to be purchased. I dont live too far off and was thinkin I could bring a scope, do an "All nighter ", and then depart sometime the next day.

Obviously would class myself as a 2nd class citizen compared with anyone set up for camping purposes for the whole weekend .

Thx John

No such thing as a second class citizen! Day visitors are welcome (please book through the site), with the proviso that no pitch or power will be available - though there is a large space available to set up telescopes, etc. Visiting overnight won't be an issue but please do not bring a tent / caravan - otherwise I would expect people who do book pitches to start questioning fairness!

Thanks,

J.

Thanks Kharga, I really want to go to this but am hesitant to book because of the lack of an update, I'm sure James is really busy and he has put a hell of a lot of work into this. As soon as its confirmed its still on I will be booking.....anyone know how to put a tent up!?!?

Thanks Jiggy, definitely still going ahead.

Based on my last camping trip many years ago, putting up a tent involves half an hour putting the wrong sticks in the wrong holes, then realising you should have put the inner tent up first (or the other way round) and wishing 1) you hadn't thrown the instructions away in a fit of macho gung-ho, 2) you had put it up before drinking quite so much wine and 3) that your mates would either just shut up or help...

hi james. will the site be secure, and the entrance marshalled or kept an eye on. not usual to have people comming and going, some of us will have a few grands worth of gear sitting about' ??? does the site's public liabiliy or buisness insurance cover damage :D if the event is not exclusive use to starcampers.

cheers steve

hi james. will the site be secure, and the entrance marshalled or kept an eye on. not usual to have people comming and going, some of us will have a few grands worth of gear sitting about' ??? does the site's public liabiliy or buisness insurance cover damage :D if the event is not exclusive use to starcampers.

cheers steve

Hi steve, this is mostly coveted in the faqs on the site. we will have exclusive use of the site if we get 40 bookings or more by the end of May. Camp site has all the usual insurance but you would be well advised to make sure own insurance covers your kit. We have taken reasonable precautions - no unmanaged vehicular access to the main camping areas; day visitors will park separately; all visitors will be have id badges - but responsibility is ultimately with the individual.

J.

Hi James,

Thank you for posting an up-date.

I figured you were up to you're eyeballs with the census.

I'll be at the workshop, so we can talk about any developments then.

Hi all,

first of the "Peak Star Party (Limited) World Tour of the Peak District :D" begins this week - Tuesday evening at the Macclesfield Astronomical Society and Thursday evening at the South Cheshire Astronomical Society in Crewe.

After the huge success of SGL6 and Kelling (really sorry I couldn't make it - sounds like they were fantastic), I am really looking forward to getting PSP2011 going and I hope to see as many of you as possible at these meets.

We will be going on to other societies around the Peak District, roughly Cheshire - Manchester - across to Sheffield - down the M1 to Derby, along the A50 to Stoke and up the M6 bck into Cheshire. I will post dates and places as we confirm them.

Thanks everybody!

James.

My folks live closeby so another potential Visitor here - won't be there too late if my folks pop along though.

Great location, there's plenty of family stories of seeing the Northern Lights in the High Peak.

Buxton is prob the best day visit for families, used to love it there as a kid myself!

Archived