Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Peak Star Party Lives Again! 21 - 24 October

jamespels

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

We have reached a faily major milestone so I thought it was time for an update...

The PSP2011 roadshow is proving very sucessful - visits to Macclesfield AS, South Cheshire Astro and Nottingham Trent University's Orion Nebula Talk have resulted in a further seven bookings in the last couple of weeks so we are now at 20 - HALF WAY to our target! The road show is continuing in the next few weeks, with Paul Collins giving the next talk at Mansfield & Sutton AS on 27 April.

Demand for the EHU (electic hookup) grass pitches has been very high and I have been dscussing how to handle this with Shallow Grange. We have agreed to split the power supplies on eight of the Touring Field pitches, giving a further eight 8A EHUs in the Camping Field. Shallow Grange have also agreed to allow single axle / max four berth caravans on these pitches.

Anybody I have been fortunate enough to talk with personally will know I am passionate about science education and want to involve school trips in a well managed way. Dr Dan Brown of Notts Trent Uni has introduced me to a couple of schools in the area and we have come to an arrangement that will be of huge benefit educationally and still fit in with the star party. I know how concerned ypu may be about possible stray torchlight! - preventing such things has been a major concern and this is fully in hand.

Astronomy Now magazine have kindly agreed at the last minute to fit in a small plug for PSP2011 in the Grassroots section of May's edition (on sale 19 April). This will be followed up with a larger article in the June edition, on sale mid May. They will send the final copy of this article over in the next couple fo weeks - I can't wait!

Finally, Peak Star Party is now on Twitter - for all the latest updates on the PSP2011, please follow @peakstarparty.

That's about it for now so all that remains is to say thankyou to all of you for your continued support. We are making excellent progress and I am sure this will be a fantastic weekend so please do keep telling all your friends - the more people we can get the better it will be.

James.

Hi James,

Just tried booking, but the 'Event Elephant' payment site said the event couldn't be found:(

Is the site closed over Easter/experiencing Tech problems:icon_scratch:

Hope you can help:icon_salut:

Hi James,

Left it 24 hours and tried again on a different computer (several times) same result? Once I select the pitch requirements from within Registrations and I've tried two different types of pitch, on transfer to the 'Event Elephant, website to pay it just keeps saying Sorry X event not found.

Hi everybody - time for another end of weekend update. Hope you have had a great Easter and managed to take advantage of the clear skies many of us have been blessed with.

• We have no reached 23 pitches booked and are making excellent progress
  • I have added a site layout to the website (see "Pitch Details" page); I will keep this updated about weekly so you can what is available where. I will also send out pitch details in the next day or so to all people who have booked so far.
  • Next Star Party roadshow appearances:

That's about it for now but don't forget - more updates on Twitter; please follow @PeakStarParty.

Thanks all!

James.

• I have added a site layout to the website (see "Pitch Details" page); I will keep this updated about weekly so you can what is available where. I will also send out pitch details in the next day or so to all people who have booked so far.

Thanks James, I got my pitch number from you already, now with the layout I know where exactly it is!

Nah, just need it to drop back down the list... comes up #3 in a google search for peak star party so I needed to put something on it!

Just hope nobody decides to reply on it... :)

Edit: Mods seem to have been nice anyway :eek: Thanks all!

Hi all,

Many thanks to Paul for presenting at Mansfield & Sutton last week; by all accounts it was a great presentation and very well received.

Sadly no increase in pitch sales this weekend, though we do have a couple of day visitors booked in.

Busy week this week - as above, I am visiting North Staffs AS in Stoke tonight and Manchester AS on Thursday. I have a new date at Derby AS' AGM on Friday and the Ilkeston & District's convention (which has been publicised nationally) talk has been confirmed for Saturday.

If you are at any of these meets, do please let me know!

Thanks,

James.

Possibly to a few more significant figures than you need but, accoding to Get Lat Lon - find the latitude and longitude of a point on a map it is

53.22746406408652, -1.8622684478759766

J.

Now we got the pitch allocation, my pitch would be 53.22710760234816, -1.8625473976135254

which is

53 degrees 13 minutes 37 seconds North

1 degree 51 minutes 45 seconds West

Altitude 308 m

Conversion needed for Cartes du Ciel!

James,

Just to double check, there's a meeting of Sheffield Astronomical Society on 8 May, I suppose it will be announced there as well?

Hi,

nto heard back from Sheffield AS - can you e-mail me details of this meet (who is organising it, contact details, etc.)? Don't suppose you'd be interested in giving a small talk there if I send you a presentation?

Thanks,

J.

Hi,

nto heard back from Sheffield AS - can you e-mail me details of this meet (who is organising it, contact details, etc.)? Don't suppose you'd be interested in giving a small talk there if I send you a presentation?

Thanks,

J.

Here's the website Sheffield Astronomical Society the contact tab has email addresses and contact number.

I've only been once and not a member just yet, and anyway I couldn't make the 9 May one.

I'll ask around the South Yorks group here and I have an acquaintance who regularly come.

Hi all,

just sent out pitch allocation details - apologies if either I have sent this to you before or if I have missed you until now!

This is a pretty manual process and I'm doing my best to fit it in around work and other life so thanks for bearing with me!

J.

Now we got the pitch allocation, my pitch would be 53.22710760234816, -1.8625473976135254

which is

53 degrees 13 minutes 37 seconds North

1 degree 51 minutes 45 seconds West

Altitude 308 m

Conversion needed for Cartes du Ciel!

Thats 0.000000000000042, -0.00000000000036 away from me

Archived