Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Peak Star Party Lives Again! 21 - 24 October

jamespels

Guys,

Regretfully due to receiving notification of a family event I am now no longer able to attend.

I've spoken with James and due to the nature of the booking system the easiest way to recover my costs is for someone to buy my place and he can simply change the name against the booking reference

If anyone else wants to attend, please drop me a PM and I'll provide details how to make payment. The pitch is with electric by the way :icon_eek:

Really gutted as I was looking forward to another party having sampled SGL6 last week, but there is no way I can make the PSP.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

great to see we have another booking, and I'm really sorry to lose Malc-C.

I introduced the Peak Star Party at Macclesfield AS on Tuesday and think it went down well - I had a lot of people showing genuine interest afterwards so here's hoping that will convert into a few more bookings!

Off to visit South Cheshire AS tonight and am provisionally booked in to visit Nottingham Trent University on 15 April to speak after their talk on the Orion Nebula.

Thanks,

James.

Right, currently at 15 bookings - two more in the last couple of days.

Had a great visit to South Cheshire Astro near Nantwich last night. Many thanks to Tom and Nigel for being so welcoming. Again some genuine interest and hopefully we will get another couple of bookings.

SC Astro have a great place right next to a field with a lovely dark sky and are well worth a visit if you're in the area - check their website for a schedule of meetings.

I am planning to speak at the Nottingham Trent University public lecture on the Orion nebula on Friday 15th; other dates are pending!

Thanks all,

James.

Hi al,

thanks for the great response to the recent talks and PMs on here - we are now up to 16 with a few "extras" (unfortunately we have had one cancellation or it would be 17) and quite a few "promises" to book in the next week or so.

The tour continues - I will be at Nottingham Trent Uni this Friday (tagging on the back of the Orion Nebula talk) and Paul Collins (Chesterfield AS) will be talking at the Mansfield & Sutton meeting on Wednesday 27th. Other dates pending...

Please let me know if your local Astro Soc has an event coming up where we could talk about the Star Party (we can cover most of the Peak District and surrounding region; any offers to talk outside of this region gratefully appreciated! - we will provide Powerpoint slides, speakers notes and flyers).

Thanks,

James.

Hi James,

I'm about to book, but I'd like to know what difference is there between the grass pitch with EHU and the light camper pitch with EHU. I'll be coming in my Land Rover, probably with trailer, but will most likely want to pitch a (large) tent rather than kip in the Landie, so basically, are they the same sized pitches? I'll want the Landie next to the tent as an annex sort of deal...

cheers

YM

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'm guessing that the light camper pitch is hard standing? I'd rather a grass one. Can you confirm?

Hi James,

I'm about to book, but I'd like to know what difference is there between the grass pitch with EHU and the light camper pitch with EHU. I'll be coming in my Land Rover, probably with trailer, but will most likely want to pitch a (large) tent rather than kip in the Landie, so basically, are they the same sized pitches? I'll want the Landie next to the tent as an annex sort of deal...

cheers

YM

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'm guessing that the light camper pitch is hard standing? I'd rather a grass one. Can you confirm?

Will edit the site details page again!

The light camper pitches are grass with a hard rubber mesh underneath to make them suitable for people who want to come and go. Both fields are well drained and do not suffer from bogginess but Shallow Grange has asked us to keep vehicle movements on the grass to a minimum so please bear this in mind if you are planning on coming and going through the weekend.

We do have access to a couple of genuine hard standing pitches for people with big RVs but these are by request only - Shallow Grange will need to ask the seasonal pitch holders. I cannot book anything for these yet but please let me know if you have an RV.

Thanks,

James.

Guys, just to remind you all that I'm having to sell my place as I can't now make it due to family commitments. If you're interested, drop me a PM - I'm looking at £50 for the weekend (inc electric) - payment via gift payment to my PayPal account.

To say I'm gutted about not being able to attend is an understatement

Have replied to your PM - many thanks. Have informed James of the changes and hopefully he'll cross ref the booking to your name.

Thanks for your help and hope you guys have clear skies over that weekend. Really gutted that this has happened, but I guess there is always 2012 PSP to attend :):p

PSP2012...

assuming this one goes OK, 20 - 22 Oct; catch Astrronomy Day Pt 2 and the Orionids again. Wondering whether to call it "Orionids in the Peak" from now on :)

Altitude is 1013ft, give or take a few for the gentle slope.

OK, myabe jumping ahead of ourselves a bit here!

Heh, just looked somewhere else - that is about bang in the middle of the Touring Field, about where your scope would be if you had one of the pitches along the northern edge of the field. Something of a prime location :)

I've seen the blade of grass at that location - it's a really good one!

Archived