Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Peak Star Party Lives Again! 21 - 24 October

jamespels

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the weather holds, the Milky Way will definitely be visible. Anybody else please feel free to correct this but I would exect to see the Milky Way clearly overhead with at least some dust lanes visible, fading to the horizons particularly towards the east.

The Bortle scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bortle_Dark-Sky_Scale) gives an indication though, based on this scale, either the description is very misleading or the real limiting mag is above 6. I suspect it varies across the sky, being the best in the south and west (this is good for meteor spotting, btw, as the Orionids will apear to radiate from a spot near Sirius, rising in the southwest around 1am.

I could see the Milky Way from a reasonably dark site about 5 miles out of Huddersfield town center last October, so yes I would think it would be quite clearly visible from the PSP site ;)

Hi all,

Based on popular demand, I have added a pitch allocation list to the PSP2011 website.

If you are OK for me to publish your name and forum ID against the pitch number, please E-MAIL me or PM me on here to say so. I can include links to mug-shots so please attach an image if you want me to use it.

If you PM me, please include your e-mail - thanks!

I have also added a weather forecast page for Buxton to the website. It is a full week forecast so obviously only really of any use in the last few days before PSP2011 but it will give an idea of how dry or wet the grass is likely to be.

Thanks,

James.

Thanks Perry!

just to set minds at rest, e-mail is just so I can match requests to the details I have as I cannot remember all forum IDs and e-mail addresses!

If you only want certain things published, just say what.

Thanks,

J.

I'm sure the milkyway will be visible as I read somewhere the magnitude will be 5.5 over shallow grange but I fear as soon as the moon gets up of the horizon the milkyway will soon disappear. My plan is to get the more difficult magnitude Neb's/ galaxies out the way and then when the moon pops up go for the easier stuff. This way I'm hoping I will get a good nights DSO hunting in despite the moon making an appearance.

Hi all, Professor Andrew Lyne has agreed to come along and deliver the headline talk on Sunday. Prof Lyne will need no introduction to Macc Astro members but for everybody else, he is the recently retired head of Jodrell Bank and continues to research pulsars at Manchester Uni. He will be delivering an excellent talk I was privileged to hear earlier this year about pulsars and how they can be used to measure cosmic time.

I am delighted both Professors Lyne and Morison are coming to psp2011 - they will had up two fascinating days of talks and workshops. Speaker and exhibitor bios are now on the website and I will finally get a schedule of events on the suite this weekend!

hi ive never been to a star party before would love to come and pitch a tent,i'm sure my friends would to,am i to late to book a pitch?

I believe booking is still open, check the link on Jame's siganture.

Hi mikinio,

as veracocha says, yes booking is still open. We are down to the last one or two pitches with electric hookup but there are plenty of non-powered tent pitches still available (we have a "reasonable use" free battery recharge policy for people who do not have EHU pitches).

Please visit Peak Star Party 2011 for full details and the booking form.

Thanks,

James.

Sunday evening catering is being run by the lovely people at Golden Roasts in Buxton, using pork and beef from the own and other local farms. Much as we all love hog roasts, we really need to reach 100 meal bookings to make them worthwhile so we have chosen an option of Meat Feast or Vegetarian Barbecues.

Please read the new "Catering" page on the Peak Star Party 2011 site and book tickets using the "Reservations" page as normal.

Meat Feast Barbecue (£6.50 per person)

The Meat Feast Barbecue consists of:

• Beef Burger freshly made from local beef
  • Hot Dog using sausages made from the Golden Roast's own farm pork
  • Chicken Satay
  • Fried Onions
  • Freshly baked brown or white baps and rolls
  • Salad garnish

Vegetarian Barbecue (£6.50 per person)

The Vegetarian Barbecue consists of:

• Vegetarian Burger
  • Vegetarian Sausage
  • Corn-on-the-cob, barbecued in lightly herbed and spiced butter
  • Fried Onions
  • Freshly baked brown or white baps and rolls
  • Salad garnish

All vegetarian meals can be barbecued either on the main grill or completely separately, depending on your preferences.

Thanks,

James.

Hi Andrewsean,

no set booking close, but we are running short of pitches with electirc hookup (ehu) so I suggest booking soon if you need mains electricity. Don't forget that all pitches without ehu can use our free "reasonable use" battery charging service (OK for scope power packs but it won't run a laptop and beer fridge or an electric heater, for instance).

Obviously, from our point of view, the sooner the better so we have the earliest possible idea of numbers for the various events.

Cheers,

J.

gonna book a pitch on friday when i get paid,is it 2 people per pitch?also i noticed tent pitches with EHU are sold out,can i book in the overflow field with EHU or do i have to get one without EHU?

cant wait roll on october

Hi all,

just to let you know, I have a couple of outstanding questions and queries I need to deal with - I am going on holiday for a week and will answer these over the weekend 22 - 24 July.

Thanks,

James.

Hi all,

just to let you know, I have a couple of outstanding questions and queries I need to deal with - I am going on holiday for a week and will answer these over the weekend 22 - 24 July.

Thanks,

James.

Enjoy the holiday James, you've certainly earned with everything you've done for the party!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived