Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New moon VIS/IR/UHC mosaic composite

teh_orph

Hello guys,

Here's a quick image, shot in 20 mins before going to my weekly ice skating lesson :)

As I was totally stuck for time, I didn't use my barlow so only at ~100x zoom. Howevs I thought I'd do something I've been meaning to try for a while - shooting with different filters and then somehow combining them. So the final image is made up of three different mosaics: each mosaic is made from 3-4 stacked pics, with each tile of each mosaic made of roughly 1-2 mins of footage. One mosaic shot in IR, another in visible light and one with my UHC filter. The best image was definitely the UHC but each frame had to be exposed for longer than the other images. IR was pretty good too but I think that only some parts of the sensor's bayer pattern have good IR response.

Anyway: shot with PlayStation Eye camera, Skywatcher 130P, Skywatcher UHC filter, Baader pass filter, Baader cut filter. Stacked with AviStack, combined with MS ICE. Cleaned up in PS CS5 and finally combined with Registax and beautified again in PS!

Final shot

smallk.png

Visible, UHC, IR.

threeshots.png

I'm not sure how best to do the final combination. I tried ICE, PS's photomerge mode, AviStack (which always crashed). Registax gave the best result but I'm sure there could be a better way!

Either way I'm very pleased with the result and the amount of detail I could bring out without the barlow :(

Thanks for looking,

Simon

Archived