Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Evening fellow stargazers!!!!

AstroJen

My names Jen and I'm a bit of an amatuar!! I have benn getting some great advice from peeps in the stargazers lounge....you guys do know a lot!!

Someone gave me some advice on using bins at first...I had no idea that was an option!!! Do you think it would be more cost effective to just get a telescope (I don't have one yet, and want to make sure I don't get misold a piece of rubbish!!) ...if I'm eventually going to get one anyway???

Not quite used to the layout of this website just yet so errrr...message me back with your thoughts!!!! I would love to hear your expert advice!!!!!

:(:)

Hi Jen.

Welcome to SGL, i wish i was in a position to offer you some advice but unfortunatly i'm a newcomer myself, so for now i'll just offer you a warm welcome.

oh and feel free to ask as many questions as you like no matter how silly they sound cos the only silly question is the one you never ask.

Mark.

Hi Jen

Welcome to SGL....i'm in the same boat as Mark and yourself as a newbie,only had my scope as a christmas pressie but i'm completely hooked already. As Mark says if you have anything to ask just post it because the people on here are awesome and will give you free impartial advice all day long.

Happy Viewing :(

Hi Jen, and welcome to SGL

I started with a pair of 7x50 binoculars over thirty years ago, and still use them on occasion. They are a great 'grab&go' option. That said, I have also tried other pairs, since buying my telescope, and found them to be a bit disappointing.

If you are totally new, a pair would enable you to 'learn the sky' ... just go out and cruise the starfields. There is something special about seeing the milky way through a widefield instrument like binoculars. It is a view you just cannot get in a standard telescope.

So I would say it would not be a waste of money. But then, it is easy for me to spend your money:D ...

Hi AstroJen,

A warm welcome to the SGL forum, bins are a recommended way to start on the road to Astronomy, even Sir PM recommends this, it is the perfect way to begin to understand the night sky, together with such aids as the free download Stellarium and the book Turn Left at Orion, a red torch and plenty of patience, you are on your way, if you study, involve yourself in the forum and the massive amount of information available, seek out a local Astronomy club, it will not be long before you will be in a position to make your own decision about what type of scope you want as a next step. Sorry to go on a bit but so many of our new friends who understandably are champing at the bit to buy a scope, before they even understand what lies above and the many pitfalls, yes, many do start that way, but it can become a difficult path for some, slow and easy, a couple of months spent with bins and absorbing information is a much safer way to start, by that time you will know whether this is for you and you will not have spent a great deal of money on a scope you no longer use.

John.

Hi Jen and welcome to SGL :(

I started with an old pair of binocs that were lying round the house and got hooked first night. I knew I'd get a scope that first time. There's no harm going for both - I still use my binocs regularly and there's lots of objects more suited to them :)

I started using Binoculars and then moved on to a telescope, well worth it I think. Still not doing my scope justice but I'm always trying to learn new things. Using the Binoculars helps you get used to where objects are and trying to find them, always good to have I think.

Anyway enjoy the forum and welcome.

Ben:)

Archived